POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Media help Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Media help (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Kevin Jackson-Mead
Subject: Media help
Date: 19 Aug 2000 09:21:52
Message: <399E8996.947343F2@mindspring.com>
Here is a scene I'm having trouble with.  What I'm trying to do is
create a clear light bulb with a glowing filament inside of it that
gives off light.  As I understand it, having the emission in there
should make it give off light.  However, unless I put in an additional
outside light source, all I see of the scene is that emitting cylinder.
Does it have anything to do with how I defined the light bulb?  Or is it
the media statement? Am I missing something simple?  Or am I way off and
have no clue?  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Kevin Jackson-Mead

#include "glass.inc"

global_settings {
 max_trace_level 5
}

camera {
 location <2, 5, -10>
 look_at 0
}

//light_source { <50, 50, -100> color rgb 1 }

#declare Light_Bulb_Part1 = merge {
 sphere { 0, 1 }
 cylinder { z, 0, 1
  scale <0.35, 0.35, 1>
  translate 0.5*z
 }
}

#declare Light_Bulb_Part2 = merge {
 sphere { 0, 1.05 }
 cylinder { z, 0, 1.05
  scale <0.35, 0.35, 1>
  translate 0.7*z
 }
}

#declare Light_Bulb = difference {
 object { Light_Bulb_Part2 }
 object { Light_Bulb_Part1 }
 interior { I_Glass }
 texture { T_Glass3 }
}

#declare Filament = cylinder {
 -0.6*x, 0.6*x, 0.05
 material {
  texture {
  pigment { color rgb 1 transmit 1 }
  finish { ambient 0 diffuse 0 }
 }
 interior { media { emission 15 intervals 10 density { wrinkles
density_map {[0 color rgb 1] [1 color rgb 0]}} } }
 }
 hollow
}

union {
 object { Light_Bulb }
 object { Filament }
 rotate y*120
}

plane { y, -4
 pigment { checker color rgb x, color rgb y }
}

Post a reply to this message

> Here is a scene I'm having trouble with.  What I'm trying to do is
> create a clear light bulb with a glowing filament inside of it that
> gives off light.  As I understand it, having the emission in there
> should make it give off light.  However, unless I put in an additional
> outside light source, all I see of the scene is that emitting cylinder.
> Does it have anything to do with how I defined the light bulb?  Or is it
> the media statement? Am I missing something simple?  Or am I way off and
> have no clue?  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

	Emitting media doesn't really "emit" light. All it does is glow by
itself (as if it had a high ambient). To have it really emit light, you
should use radiosity (but it will be pretty slow...)

--

* Doctor Jekyll had something * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* to Hyde...                  * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Jackson-Mead
Date: 22 Aug 2000 07:20:09
Message: <39A2618A.DDC0223E@mindspring.com>
Thanks for the response.  Argh.  So, unless I want to try to use radiosity, it
seems my only other option is to use a light source that looks like the
filament, right?  Maybe that's the best option after all.  Thanks again.

Kevin Jackson-Mead