POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Method to make spherical planetoid looking things Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Method to make spherical planetoid looking things (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Paul Vanukoff
Subject: Method to make spherical planetoid looking things
Date: 28 Dec 1999 12:33:59
Message: <3868f487@news.povray.org>
Needs a light_source or two, a camera, and a fast computer. I have not
nearly enough patience to see the render through on my machine.

// Source //

global_settings { max_trace_level 100 }

#include "colors.inc"

#declare K=0;
#while (K<1)

sphere
{
    < 0, 0, 0> 2*K
    pigment
    {
        bozo turbulence 1.5
        color_map
        {
            [0.0 color White transmit 0]
            [1-K color White transmit 0]
            [1-K color White transmit 1]
            [1.0 color White transmit 1]
        }
    }
}

#declare K=K+0.01;
#end

// End Source //

--
Paul Vanukoff
van### [at] primenetcom

Post a reply to this message

From: omniVERSE
Date: 28 Dec 1999 13:04:41
Message: <3868fbb9@news.povray.org>
Just going from K=K+0.01 changed to K=K+0.11 or 0.12 is a great increase in
render time.  I tried lowering the two transmit 1's to 0.9 and it sped up
also, just didn't look the same anymore.
I didn't render a good size either, but it looks like a candidate for a
comet nucleus made up of rounded chunks of opaque ice to me.
I'm a little surprised how slow this was, being just 100 spheres, all in the
intersecting parts I guess.  I checked out using a 'union' wrapped around
the while loop and it only seemed to help imperceptably (merge makes it all
but disappear).

Bob

"Paul Vanukoff" <van### [at] primenetcom> wrote in message

> Needs a light_source or two, a camera, and a fast computer. I have not
> nearly enough patience to see the render through on my machine.
>

> // Source //
>
> global_settings { max_trace_level 100 }
>
> #include "colors.inc"
>
> #declare K=0;