POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Moon in the daylight Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Moon in the daylight (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Trole
Subject: Moon in the daylight
Date: 2 Nov 1999 02:47:48
Message: <381e9724@news.povray.org>
I want to create something like picture on the entrance page of
www.planetside.co.uk
I want to create a moon (or two moons, or giant planet, whatever) over the
landscape, behind the clouds. This is effect that you can see if the moon is
visible during the daylight. You can see white halfmoon, with craters and
stuff, and the other half in the color of sky.
Is it possible without cheating (I mean no discs, Boolean objects and stuff
like this)? I am aware that this effect is result of atmosphere's
influence on light (the reason why the sky is blue). Can it be simulated in
POV?

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999 08:55:47 +0100, "Trole" <tro### [at] pttyu> wrote:

>I want to create something like picture on the entrance page of
>www.planetside.co.uk
>I want to create a moon (or two moons, or giant planet, whatever) over the
>landscape, behind the clouds. This is effect that you can see if the moon is
>visible during the daylight. You can see white halfmoon, with craters and
>stuff, and the other half in the color of sky.
>Is it possible without cheating (I mean no discs, Boolean objects and stuff
>like this)? I am aware that this effect is result of atmosphere's
>influence on light (the reason why the sky is blue). Can it be simulated in
>POV?

Make the moon the color of the sky, give it a high ambient and make
the craters with a bump map. This way you won't see any bumps in the
shadow but you'll see the craters in the lit area. Hope this works

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

> I want to create something like picture on the entrance page of
> www.planetside.co.uk
> I want to create a moon (or two moons, or giant planet, whatever) over the
> landscape, behind the clouds. This is effect that you can see if the moon
is
> visible during the daylight. You can see white halfmoon, with craters and
> stuff, and the other half in the color of sky.
> Is it possible without cheating (I mean no discs, Boolean objects and
> stuff like this)? I am aware that this effect is result of atmosphere's
> influence on light (the reason why the sky is blue). Can it be simulated
> in POV?

Here's an untested idea you can try. Keeping your background to the default
black, create your moon(s)/planet(s) as you normally would, with ambient 0,
so the unlit parts look black. Now create a large sphere and make it
semi-transparent. Make it's large enough that it doesn't get in the way of
anything you have in your sky, but also make sure the moon(s)/planet(s) are
outside the sphere. This sphere will act as your atmosphere and shade
everything to whatever colour you give your it.

Hope that helps,
Darcy

Post a reply to this message