POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Isosurface snowscape source ... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurface snowscape source ... (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Michael Andrews
Subject: Isosurface snowscape source ...
Date: 2 Sep 1999 12:09:13
Message: <37CEA10C.A501B51B@reading.ac.uk>
Hi folks,
	Here's the source for my snowscape image.

	Using aa of 0.1 it took ~5hr for a 640x480 image on a 350MHz PII
running NT.

	Comments, queries, critiques, criticisms all welcome :-)

	Bye for now,
		Mike Andrews.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'rmf.pov.txt' (5 KB)

>         Here's the source for my snowscape image.
>
>         Using aa of 0.1 it took ~5hr for a 640x480 image on a 350MHz PII
> running NT.
>
>         Comments, queries, critiques, criticisms all welcome :-)
>
>         Bye for now,
>                 Mike Andrews.

>               Name: rmf.pov
>    rmf.pov    Type: POV-Ray scene file
(application/x-unknown-content-type-POV-Ray.Scene)
>           Encoding: base64

	Thank you very much

--
*******************************

* they'll tell you what can't * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* be done and why...          * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger
* Then do it.                 *
*******************************

Post a reply to this message

From: James Crocker
Date: 5 Sep 1999 13:22:13
Message: <37D2A721.2F964B67@ix.netcom.com>
Yes, thanks for posting this.  I have been thinking about how to do this for a while -
my
excuse is "not enough time" :-], but I really hadn't figured it out yet.

James Crocker

--
We're going back to the moon to stay.  You can come too!
Find out more --> http://www.asi.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: James Crocker
Date: 5 Sep 1999 13:31:16
Message: <37D2A93D.62F81339@ix.netcom.com>
Taking it one level closer to reality...

How about a function that melts the snow a certain amount based on whether its in the
sunlight or in shadows?  That would add a further touch of realism to an already very
cool
scene.  You would need to figure out where the shadows were, and if so desired,
integrate
over a day to see how much sunlight fell on each area, or conversely how shaded an
area was
over a day.  I suppose angle of incidence is important too, so slopes facing the sun
melt off
while slopes facing away don't melt as fast, even though they get sun most of the day
(just
not directly)....

Worth it?  It might be more work than the value added to making it more "real".

James Crocker