POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Warning! Error in source Povray-3.7 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:07:29 EDT (-0400)
  Warning! Error in source Povray-3.7 (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: LanuHum
Subject: Warning! Error in source Povray-3.7
Date: 13 Jun 2013 02:40:01
Message: <web.51b967e25296bfb5113a021b0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I don't speak English!

Povray in Linux: segmentation fault, if start Povray in Blender or Eclipse, if
enable window.
Our people found a problem, but don't speak English too.
In 3.7.0.RC7 file unix/disp_sdl.cpp
line 235  SDL_Rect **modes = SDL_ListModes(NULL, SDL_FULLSCREEN);

the call of the SDL_ListModes function returns -1 when povray is started from a
blender
it is necessary to make check on -1
as SDL_ListModes can return -1
http://sdl.beuc.net/sdl.wiki/SDL_ListModes

Correct, please!

Post a reply to this message

> Povray in Linux: segmentation fault, if start Povray in Blender or Eclipse, if
> enable window.
> Our people found a problem, but don't speak English too.
> In 3.7.0.RC7 file unix/disp_sdl.cpp
> line 235  SDL_Rect **modes = SDL_ListModes(NULL, SDL_FULLSCREEN);
>
> the call of the SDL_ListModes function returns -1 when povray is started from a
> blender
> it is necessary to make check on -1
> as SDL_ListModes can return -1
> http://sdl.beuc.net/sdl.wiki/SDL_ListModes
>
> Correct, please!

I would confirm (from another source):

http://www.libsdl.org/docs/html/sdllistmodes.html

Now, what a shitty specification of return: nullptr, -1 or valid pointer.
On architecture without alignment constraint, that removes two addresses
from the usable range.

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Post a reply to this message

Le 13/06/2013 09:09, Le_Forgeron nous fit lire :
> Le 13/06/2013 08:36, LanuHum a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't speak English!
>>
>> Povray in Linux: segmentation fault, if start Povray in Blender or Eclipse, if
>> enable window.
>> Our people found a problem, but don't speak English too.
>> In 3.7.0.RC7 file unix/disp_sdl.cpp
>> line 235  SDL_Rect **modes = SDL_ListModes(NULL, SDL_FULLSCREEN);
>>
>> the call of the SDL_ListModes function returns -1 when povray is started from a
>> blender
>> it is necessary to make check on -1
>> as SDL_ListModes can return -1
>> http://sdl.beuc.net/sdl.wiki/SDL_ListModes
>>
>> Correct, please!
>>

> I would confirm (from another source):
>
> http://www.libsdl.org/docs/html/sdllistmodes.html
>
> Now, what a shitty specification of return: nullptr, -1 or valid pointer.
> On architecture without alignment constraint, that removes two addresses
> from the usable range.

And for the best of the standard (so good for the obvious patch):
  if ((modes != NULL)&&(-1 != modes))

disp_sdl.cpp:236:33: error: ISO C++ forbids comparison between pointer
and integer

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 13 Jun 2013 16:10:01
Message: <web.51ba226fdf169dc4113a021b0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:

> I would confirm (from another source):
>
> http://www.libsdl.org/docs/html/sdllistmodes.html
>
> Now, what a shitty specification of return: nullptr, -1 or valid pointer.
> On architecture without alignment constraint, that removes two addresses
> from the usable range.
>
> --
> Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Sorry! Bla-bla-bla.
SDL-bad?
Delete.
GTK-good?
apply!!!
30 lines code programmers not write?
Oh! Very large works!
How SDL?
All users in linux use Gimp, Inkscape and other programms based GTK. libgtk
apply
How SDL - primitive toolkit???
That me used don't full???
Oh!
Take me, please, programmers select not work toolkit with very good render
system?
Lamer!

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 13 Jun 2013 16:27:45
Message: <51ba2b41$1@news.povray.org>
Le 13/06/2013 08:36, LanuHum nous fit lire :
> Hi,
>
> I don't speak English!
>
> Povray in Linux: segmentation fault, if start Povray in Blender or Eclipse, if
> enable window.
> Our people found a problem, but don't speak English too.
> In 3.7.0.RC7 file unix/disp_sdl.cpp
> line 235  SDL_Rect **modes = SDL_ListModes(NULL, SDL_FULLSCREEN);
>
> the call of the SDL_ListModes function returns -1 when povray is started from a
> blender
> it is necessary to make check on -1
> as SDL_ListModes can return -1
> http://sdl.beuc.net/sdl.wiki/SDL_ListModes
>
> Correct, please!

Your fix is :
   if ((modes != NULL)&&(reinterpret_cast<SDL_Rect**>(-1) != modes))

instead of :
   if (modes != NULL)

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 15 Jun 2013 06:05:00
Message: <web.51bc3c1fdf169dc47a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> Your fix is :
>    if ((modes != NULL)&&(reinterpret_cast<SDL_Rect**>(-1) != modes))

Not work!
Show sdl window, if start povray in blender == False, but segfault == False too.
:)

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 15 Jun 2013 07:19:18
Message: <51bc4db6$1@news.povray.org>
Le 15/06/2013 12:04, LanuHum nous fit lire :
> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>

>> Your fix is :
>>    if ((modes != NULL)&&(reinterpret_cast<SDL_Rect**>(-1) != modes))
>>

> Not work!
> Show sdl window, if start povray in blender == False, but segfault == False too.
> :)

Add "-D" option to povray if start in blender

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 15 Jun 2013 12:25:00
Message: <web.51bc9463df169dc47a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> Add "-D" option to povray if start in blender

I look for a way how to get rid from "-d"
I have to wait for 8 hours to see what it is possible to see the first three
minutes of a render? ? ?
 You laugh, whether that?

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 16 Jul 2013 15:43:19
Message: <51e5a257$1@news.povray.org>
Going back to a question that has been left unanswered:

Am 13.06.2013 22:06, schrieb LanuHum:

> Take me, please, programmers select not work toolkit with very good render
> system?

FYI, POV-Ray's roots are a lot, /lot/ older than you probably imagine.
When the first version of POV-Ray was released, Linus Torvalds was just
finishing school and hand't even purchased his first PC yet; fancy
graphics on PCs (or probably any other hardware reasonably available to
hobbyists back then) still meant drawing individual pixels by writing
individual bytes (or sometimes even bits) directly to the graphics
hardware - with different graphics adapters often requiring different
treatment.

It was only ten years later that the SDL emerged, and at that time it
was a pretty good choice. It was also a time when code size was still a
much heavier issue than it is today, and the SDL had the advantage of
being pretty lightweight. After all, to just display a render preview
you don't need a sophisticated GUI toolkit like the GTK+ (which I guess
is what you mean when you mentioned GTK).

One might argue that by now POV-Ray could have moved on to something
more sophisticated for render preview on Linux, but obviously that would
have required someone to invest time into it. With the current dev team
members being mostly Windows-focused, this simply hasn't happened yet.
(It's also probably not worth the effort anymore; due to licensing
issues with an important library the Windows GUI needs major work
anyway, and the dev team will probably take the opportunity to move
towards a cross-platform GUI toolkit.)

> Lamer!

I'm not sure whether you know how rude (and inappropriate) this comment is.

Post a reply to this message

From: LanuHum
Date: 19 Jul 2013 16:20:01
Message: <web.51e99e2ddf169dc47a3e03fe0@news.povray.org>

> > Lamer!
>
> I'm not sure whether you know how rude (and inappropriate) this comment is.

I-lamer! You incorrectly understood. :)
The first Povray is written for Windows,Then it ported in Linux?
Sorry!
I noticed how developers of linux programs changed the direction in Windows.
Whether there was povray in Windows popular?
But, it - not the main thing!
The main thing that questions are ignored.
The scene with povray cube isn't equal to a scene with mesh cube. It doesn't
matter windows or linux.
I had opportunity to test povray in windows.
Very inconvenient use calculated on manual editing.
Povray in linux is in the best situation.
It isn't necessary to speak about lack of time to write three lines of a code.
There is no time, don't disturb users.
Undertook to write - make a code correctly.
Look:
http://news.povray.org/povray.newusers/thread/%3Cweb.51beaaafb66eb0d77a3e03fe0%40news.povray.org%3E/

I killed 2 months, a problem didn't solve. Who considers my time?
In tutorial:
 global_settings
 { photons
   { count 20000
     media 100
   }
 }

Render 11 minutes

In my scene render 59 minutes
look:
http://yadi.sk/d/9AS7Uv9770OaS
Whom to ask why so occurs? Developers have no time