POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : howto question Server Time
16 Apr 2024 07:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  howto question (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: danny280279
Subject: howto question
Date: 14 Feb 2010 09:50:00
Message: <web.4b780c68285de5c0ace6c7fc0@news.povray.org>
Basically I just want to ask a simple question.  I just want to know how to
implement the core povray renderer as a rendering backend in a graphics engine.

Allow me to explain.  The Graphics Engine I have is a customised version of the
MGL.  To this I have added the AGG 2D rasterizer, OMX support for multimedia
through GStreamer, and Bellagio.  SVG parsing, through both AGG and libsvg.
Network transparancy support through UDPCast, libnetlink, and DBus.  I basically
intended for it to be able to do the same job as an XServer, but a little
differently.  And I have implemented a free EGLES/OpenGL, library that s
Hardware Accelerated, that I got from the ps2dev site.  But the engine still
doesn't produce the kind of grahics that I want.

I really want the graphical abilities that I saw on the "Hall of Fame" page,
i.e. photorealistic, and ray-tracing for games and such.  I would like to know
if I can do this with PovRay.

i.e. Are there certain parts of the source that are absolutely required, and if
so which parts?  Would doing this stop users from being able to create their own
scenes, art, games using this library?  Would it be capable of rendering
Multimedia, say over UPnP, IP, a network, on an embedded device, on a PC?  If
not, then how would I go about making sure that as a backend renderer it was
capable of doing all of this?  And!  As a backend renderer, would I still need
to provide the frontend into the library?  What about Graphics Drivers, I saw
that the library didn't implement them but instead relied on the platform it
found itself on, does this mean that I can't actually use it as a hardware
accelerated library, that the other components of my engine use for rendering?
Would I have to provide the drivers and the hardware interface if I'm to
implement this library as a backend renderer, in order to provide graphics for
use in applications, games and multimedia?

Post a reply to this message

> Basically I just want to ask a simple question.  I just want to know how to
> implement the core povray renderer as a rendering backend in a graphics engine.
>
> Allow me to explain.  The Graphics Engine I have is a customised version of the
> MGL.  To this I have added the AGG 2D rasterizer, OMX support for multimedia
> through GStreamer, and Bellagio.  SVG parsing, through both AGG and libsvg.
> Network transparancy support through UDPCast, libnetlink, and DBus.  I basically
> intended for it to be able to do the same job as an XServer, but a little
> differently.  And I have implemented a free EGLES/OpenGL, library that s
> Hardware Accelerated, that I got from the ps2dev site.  But the engine still
> doesn't produce the kind of grahics that I want.
>
> I really want the graphical abilities that I saw on the "Hall of Fame" page,
> i.e. photorealistic, and ray-tracing for games and such.  I would like to know
> if I can do this with PovRay.
>
> i.e. Are there certain parts of the source that are absolutely required, and if
> so which parts?  Would doing this stop users from being able to create their own
> scenes, art, games using this library?  Would it be capable of rendering
> Multimedia, say over UPnP, IP, a network, on an embedded device, on a PC?  If
> not, then how would I go about making sure that as a backend renderer it was
> capable of doing all of this?  And!  As a backend renderer, would I still need
> to provide the frontend into the library?  What about Graphics Drivers, I saw
> that the library didn't implement them but instead relied on the platform it
> found itself on, does this mean that I can't actually use it as a hardware
> accelerated library, that the other components of my engine use for rendering?
> Would I have to provide the drivers and the hardware interface if I'm to
> implement this library as a backend renderer, in order to provide graphics for
> use in applications, games and multimedia?

Are you sure you know what POV-Ray is? - POV-Ray is an application program
that does ray-tracing based on scene files provided to it written in a
custom scripting language. Ray-tracing is a fairly slow process, and not
possible in real-time for scenes as complex as seen in the POV-Ray Hall of
Fame on standard hardware.

I somehow get the impression you think POV-Ray is some kind of OpenGL
library? - POV-Ray is an application program and in no way dependent of
OpenGL or any graphics hardware. POV-Ray is not a library of any kind, nor
suitable to be used as a library.

	Thorsten