POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Running POV-Ray Through DDE Link Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Running POV-Ray Through DDE Link (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: akash
Subject: Running POV-Ray Through DDE Link
Date: 8 Oct 2009 14:05:01
Message: <web.4ace28dfe3f4e7b75d1de84f0@news.povray.org>
I have written a program that is DDE enabled. I'd like to send a command from
that program to POV-Ray (via DDE) and have POV-Ray load a file, render, and
create an image output (JPG,BMP,etc.). Is such DDE communication possible using
POV-Ray? Essentially, I'd like to run POV-Ray as a client from another program,
without having to launch it manually. Thanks in advance!

Post a reply to this message

> Essentially, I'd like to run POV-Ray as a client from another program,
> without having to launch it manually. Thanks in advance!

You can invoke pvengine.exe with the /render and /exit switches to cause
POV-Ray to do something close to that. That may be sufficient.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> Essentially, I'd like to run POV-Ray as a client from another program,
>> without having to launch it manually. Thanks in advance!
>
> You can invoke pvengine.exe with the /render and /exit switches to cause
> POV-Ray to do something close to that. That may be sufficient.

... aside from that, there is no interface to drive POV-Ray
automatically, nor does POV-Ray's current license permit to distribute a
version that has such an interface added.

(Future versions are likely to be released under the GPL though, which
would then permit such a patch to be distributed I guess.)

Post a reply to this message

> ... aside from that, there is no interface to drive POV-Ray
> automatically, nor does POV-Ray's current license permit to distribute a
> version that has such an interface added.

GUI Extensions are enough for some interaction with another application.
Doesn't Moray use that, after all?

Post a reply to this message

>> ... aside from that, there is no interface to drive POV-Ray
>> automatically, nor does POV-Ray's current license permit to distribute a
>> version that has such an interface added.
>
> GUI Extensions are enough for some interaction with another application.
> Doesn't Moray use that, after all?

While Moray may be using some plug-in mechanism to extend its own
(modelling) functionality (I'm no Moray expert, rather far from it
actually), when it comes to driving POV-Ray it must use the same method
as everyone else: Executing it with suitable command-line parameters.

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 01:31:20 +0200, clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> While Moray may be using some plug-in mechanism to extend its own
> (modelling) functionality (I'm no Moray expert, rather far from it
> actually), when it comes to driving POV-Ray it must use the same method
> as everyone else: Executing it with suitable command-line parameters.

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/699/

Moray used the GUI Extension interface to hook into POV-Ray, which allowed
it to start renders programmatically and capture render output in its own
buffers.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message