POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : win98se mingw povray Server Time
5 May 2024 19:33:07 EDT (-0400)
  win98se mingw povray (Message 23 to 32 of 32)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: win98se mingw povray
Date: 3 Dec 2007 12:41:31
Message: <47543fcb$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>> alphaQuad wrote:
>>> All was meant in the sincerest fun and no harm intended.
>>> All apologies if you got your feelings hurt.
>>
>> Never mind, no problem.
>>
>>     Thorsten
>>
>> PS: Probably you know, but just to say it ... it isn't considered
>> particularly good netiquette to email in response to newsgroup posts :-)
> Why not? If there is something to say that is irrelevant to the whole
> group I wouldn't see the problem. I actually received a number of
> e-mails as response to some of my posts here over the years and in all
> cases I could see why they weren't posted in the newsgroups. I am in
> general glad they did mail me.
> I know the converse rule viz. that you should not post a personal e-mail
> in a newsgroup without permission from the sender, but I guess you
> weren't referring to that one. ;)

You misunderstood: The email is the _same_ as his post ;-)

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 3 Dec 2007 13:11:47
Message: <475446E4.5030303@hotmail.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>>> Never mind, no problem.
>>>
>>>     Thorsten
>>>
>>> PS: Probably you know, but just to say it ... it isn't considered
>>> particularly good netiquette to email in response to newsgroup posts :-)
>> Why not? If there is something to say that is irrelevant to the whole
>> group I wouldn't see the problem. I actually received a number of
>> e-mails as response to some of my posts here over the years and in all
>> cases I could see why they weren't posted in the newsgroups. I am in
>> general glad they did mail me.
>> I know the converse rule viz. that you should not post a personal e-mail
>> in a newsgroup without permission from the sender, but I guess you
>> weren't referring to that one. ;)
>
> You misunderstood: The email is the _same_ as his post ;-)
>
> 	Thorsten
Ah, ok, I should have seen that. So the only bonus is that we now have
the headers so we can pin point his address a bit better? Illinois with
a provider in Atlanta? ;)

Anyway it leaves open the question why it would be against nettiquette
to post an e-mail in response to a newsgroup post. I never heard of that
rule.

Post a reply to this message

From: alphaQuad
Date: 5 Dec 2007 14:05:00
Message: <web.4756f5cdd201812e2504c98a0@news.povray.org>
any attempt to use command line "LIBS=anything" wound fail for
pov 3.6 makefile.gcc

ifeq ($(USE_GUI),1)
$(OBJS)/pvengine.exe: $(PVENGINE_OBJECTS) $(OBJS)/pvengine_pvengine_rc.o
 $(CXX) -o $@ $(PVENGINE_OBJECTS) $(LDFLAGS) $(__DEBUGINFO)
-Wl,--subsystem,windows -mwindows

for sound do something incredibly obvious, like:

LIBS=-lcomctl32
LIBS2=-lwinmm

ifeq ($(USE_GUI),1)
$(OBJS)/pvengine.exe: $(PVENGINE_OBJECTS) $(OBJS)/pvengine_pvengine_rc.o
 $(CXX) -o $@ $(PVENGINE_OBJECTS) $(LIBS) $(LIBS2) $(__DEBUGINFO)
-Wl,--subsystem,windows -mwindows

so if I just had a htmlhelp.a ... wait a minute ... where's the dll, no wait
there is none, must use htmlhelp.lib

ah crap another puzzle to solve no one will help with.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 5 Dec 2007 14:25:31
Message: <4756fb2b$1@news.povray.org>

> so if I just had a htmlhelp.a ... wait a minute ... where's the dll, no wait
> there is none, must use htmlhelp.lib

The .dll comes with Windows...

Post a reply to this message

From: alphaQuad
Date: 5 Dec 2007 14:50:00
Message: <web.4756ffafd201812e2504c98a0@news.povray.org>

> > so if I just had a htmlhelp.a ... wait a minute ... where's the dll, no wait
> > there is none, must use htmlhelp.lib
>
> The .dll comes with Windows...

this computer doesn't find htmlhelp.dll, only .lib and .h

http://www.citlink.net/~messengertj/htmlhelp.htm
    * n C:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop\include there's a header file
htmlhelp.h. Put a copy in C:\MinGW\include.
    * In C:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop\lib there's a library file
htmlhelp.lib. Put a copy in C:\MinGW\lib under the name libhtmlhelp.a. Renaming
to the MinGW convention is not actually necessary, but it makes the nature of
the file clearer. As found by the MinGW project staff, this file is a static
library that calls LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress to access the file
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\hhctrl.ocx, not an import library, and can be linked by ld.

gcc_gui_release/pvengine_pvengine_rc.o -lcomctl32 -lwinmm -lhtmlhelp
-Wl,--subsystem,windows -mwindows

/mingw/lib/libhtmlhelp.a: file not recognized: File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
MINGW3~4.EXE: *** [gcc_gui_release/pvengine.exe] Error 1

still confused
"File format not recognized"
kinda of expected that

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 5 Dec 2007 15:13:15
Message: <4757065b@news.povray.org>

> this computer doesn't find htmlhelp.dll, only .lib and .h

Maybe because the dll in question is actually hhctrl.ocx? The .a doesn't
  have to be named the same as the .dll.

>     * In C:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop\lib there's a library file
> htmlhelp.lib. Put a copy in C:\MinGW\lib under the name libhtmlhelp.a. Renaming
> to the MinGW convention is not actually necessary, but it makes the nature of
> the file clearer.

Have you tried not renaming it? Just use the full path to the .lib.
Maybe if you rename it to .a it expects a different format.

Post a reply to this message

From: alphaQuad
Date: 5 Dec 2007 15:45:01
Message: <web.47570cdcd201812e2504c98a0@news.povray.org>

> > this computer doesn't find htmlhelp.dll, only .lib and .h
>
> Maybe because the dll in question is actually hhctrl.ocx? The .a doesn't
>   have to be named the same as the .dll.
>
> >     * In C:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop\lib there's a library file
> > htmlhelp.lib. Put a copy in C:\MinGW\lib under the name libhtmlhelp.a. Renaming
> > to the MinGW convention is not actually necessary, but it makes the nature of
> > the file clearer.
>
> Have you tried not renaming it? Just use the full path to the .lib.
> Maybe if you rename it to .a it expects a different format.

f:/mingw/lib/htmlhelp.lib:
 file not recognized: File format not recognized

so you can put a whole path in there, good to know "f:/mingw/lib/htmlhelp.lib"

maybe a bad file = htmlhelp.lib = 1,536 bytes

LoadLibraryA
RegOpenKeyExA
RegCloseKey

running out of ideas

Post a reply to this message

From: alphaQuad
Date: 5 Dec 2007 19:15:00
Message: <web.47573d96d201812eea573fb60@news.povray.org>
my prob seems to be only a format issue, conclusion contradicted by
http://www.citlink.net/~messengertj/htmlhelp.htm

not a reply to my issue, but something to be aware, possibly related
,
a zoom scope on the tech

There are several things that you need to realize here.  First, ELF and
PE work quite differently, specifically ELF has the ability to link a
library or program with undefined symbols that are lazily resolved at
program runtime by the runtime dynamic linker ld.so.  You can't do this
on PE systems, which require that all symbols be resolvable at link
time.

Completely separate from those architectural design differences, libtool
also has a -no-undefined flag with a somewhat overloaded meaning.  On
platforms like PE where undefined symbols cause a link failure, libtool
requires that you specify -no-undefined if you want to build a shared
library.  Doing this tells libtool "yes, this library was designed to
work this way, so it's okay to try to create a shared library."
Otherwise it won't even try.  You can normally just add this flag to
foo_la_LDFLAGS and things will work fine -- assuming of course that the
package itself was not designed to rely on this ELF ability to do lazy
binding.  In that case you'll have more work to do.

(ELF is an acronym for Executable and Linking Format) is a standard for object
modules, libraries, executables, and core files.

PE-COFF the "P" stands for "portable" (Microsoft's PE-COFF was another standard
they documented.)

Standards and specs: An unsung hero: The hardworking ELF
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/power/library/pa-spec12/index.html

Post a reply to this message

From: alphaQuad
Date: 5 Dec 2007 20:30:00
Message: <web.47574f89d201812ed8615d340@news.povray.org>
chc> IMHO the HTML Help API should be supported by w32api because it is an
chc> important Windows feature (more so than RTF help) used by most
applications.
chc> I know that htmlhelp.lib is a static library so it is probably better if
chc> w32api has an equivalent library, but a direct import library is the next
chc> best thing. However, if linking directly with htmlhelp.lib works with MinGW
chc> then that should be good enough, but I haven't tried it. Have you, Phil?

Yes, I tried to link with an original htmlhelp.lib, but to no success,
so at first I had to use LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress, and now -
libhtmlhelp.a.

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1145.0;wap2
back to same but no follow up, I doubt he got it.

its not just ME!

can we define htmlhelp as
LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress

another way?

Post a reply to this message

From: alphaQuad
Date: 7 Dec 2007 19:50:00
Message: <web.4759e953d201812ef7c0db0c0@news.povray.org>
"alphaQuad" <alp### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> can we define htmlhelp as
> LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress
>
> another way?

glad you asked!!!!!!!!
htmlhelp.lib can bite my shinny metal ....
I'll never ask anything again, but real glad Nic was here, peace dude.

typedef HWND (WINAPI* FPHH)(HWND, LPCSTR, UINT, DWORD);
FPHH g_pHtmlHelp=NULL; // Function pointer
//HtmlHelp CALL lookup
// hKeyWord_LOOKUP(main_window,engineHelpPath, hh_aklink)
// hKeyWord_LOOKUP(NULL,engineHelpPath, hh_aklink)
void hKeyWord_LOOKUP(HWND,char *, HH_AKLINK);
void hKeyWord_LOOKUP(HWND w,char *hf, HH_AKLINK akLink) // [_MAX_PATH]
{
 // Explicit linking of HHCtrl.ocx
  if (g_pHtmlHelp==NULL) {
  HINSTANCE hHelp=LoadLibrary("HHCtrl.ocx");
  if (hHelp!=NULL)
  (FARPROC&)g_pHtmlHelp=GetProcAddress(hHelp,"HtmlHelpA");
 }
 if (g_pHtmlHelp!=NULL)
 {
  HWND hWndResult=NULL;
  hWndResult=g_pHtmlHelp(w,
  hf, //helpfilepath
  HH_KEYWORD_LOOKUP,
  (DWORD)&akLink);
 }
//http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51896
}
// replaces
//HtmlHelp (NULL, engineHelpPath, HH_KEYWORD_LOOKUP, (DWORD) &hh_aklink) ;