POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : CUDA - NVIDIA's massively parallel programming architecture Server Time
2 May 2024 15:32:36 EDT (-0400)
  CUDA - NVIDIA's massively parallel programming architecture (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: PaulSh
Subject: CUDA - NVIDIA's massively parallel programming architecture
Date: 14 Nov 2006 12:00:00
Message: <web.4559f599f37e28ef8f8c13730@news.povray.org>
POV-Ray is finally making its transition to SMP systems, which is great news
for those of us who can afford them. However, in terms of raw CPU power the
latest NVIDIA graphics cards would seem to completely blow away anything in
the way of SMP solutions this side of a research lab. Their CUDA GPU
architecture is claimed to allow up to 128 independent processing units
each running at 1.35GHz to be thrown at computationally-intensive problems.
So, my first thought was not SETI or protein folding, but POV-Ray. Given
that V3.7 is going to be fully threaded, what would be the possibility of a
CUDA version? I guess that will depend on the time and abilities of someone
with a lot more time and a lot more ability than myself...

Post a reply to this message