POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : CUDA - NVIDIA's massively parallel programming architecture : Re: CUDA - NVIDIA's massively parallel programming architecture Server Time
17 May 2024 03:33:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CUDA - NVIDIA's massively parallel programming architecture
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 12 Feb 2007 16:42:07
Message: <45d0df2f$1@news.povray.org>
PaulSh wrote:
> POV-Ray is finally making its transition to SMP systems, which is great news
> for those of us who can afford them. However, in terms of raw CPU power the
> latest NVIDIA graphics cards would seem to completely blow away anything in
> the way of SMP solutions this side of a research lab. Their CUDA GPU
> architecture is claimed to allow up to 128 independent processing units
> each running at 1.35GHz to be thrown at computationally-intensive problems.
> So, my first thought was not SETI or protein folding, but POV-Ray. Given
> that V3.7 is going to be fully threaded, what would be the possibility of a
> CUDA version? I guess that will depend on the time and abilities of someone
> with a lot more time and a lot more ability than myself...

Dunno. But I'd guess it would be easier to compile 3.7 to one of these:
http://www.cray.com/products/xt4/specifications.html
http://www.cray.com/products/xd1/index.html

The latter one is running Linux (AFAIK x86_64), so POV should be a piece
of cake. Of course the price can be somewhere above the "too high"
-level :p.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net