POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : What determines CRITICAL_LENGTH and BOUND_HUGE? Server Time
2 May 2024 10:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  What determines CRITICAL_LENGTH and BOUND_HUGE? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Eric Buddington
Subject: What determines CRITICAL_LENGTH and BOUND_HUGE?
Date: 27 Dec 2005 00:40:01
Message: <web.43b0d3565acbf65287938cd40@news.povray.org>
POV-Ray-3.6.1

I am interested in expanding the range of scales that POV-Ray can use. I'm
animating a fly-in from the edge of the galaxy (~10e23m) to my house

One problem is that large spheres get classified as "infinite", even though
they occupy a very small view angle. The subsequent render is painfully
slow. It looks like increasing CRITICAL_LENGTH and BOUND_HUGE should help,
though I'm still seeing hordes of infinite objects afterwards.

Are the current values for CRITICAL_LENGTH and BOUND_HUGE at some calculated
maximum, or did they just get pegged at "big enough for any sane use"?

-Eric

Post a reply to this message

> Are the current values for CRITICAL_LENGTH and BOUND_HUGE at some calculated
> maximum, or did they just get pegged at "big enough for any sane use"?

Those constants are carefully chosen to obtain best results in most
cases.  You should only change them if you know exactly what you are
doing(tm).

Christoph

http://www.imagico.de/ (Last updated 31 Oct. 2005)