POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms Server Time
25 Sep 2021 04:30:44 EDT (-0400)
  OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms (Message 4 to 13 of 13)  
<<< Previous 3 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: clipka
Subject: Re: OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms
Date: 3 Jun 2021 19:43:39
Message: <60b9692b$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.06.2021 um 15:32 schrieb jr:

>> Fix the Unix build process to do the right kind of version checking
>> and pulling-in of libraries (primarily relevant files:
>> `unix/configure.ac` and `unix/config/ax_check_openexr.m4`). The test for
>> the actual `IlmImf` library would have to be changed, to test for
>> `OpenEXR` instead if the version number detected is 3.0 or higher; also
>> in that case, a test for the `Imath` library would have to be performed,
>> which we currently don't have because it was effectively implicit when
>> OpenEXR was present.
> 
> confused by your point (2) since 'Imath' is part of version 2.2.0 (and 1.7.1)
> already.

I'm confused by it all, too. At any rate, the math portions are no 
longer found (even when fixing the IlmImf->OpenEXR thing), and that has 
to be fixed.

 From all I've read on the internet, one thing seems quite obvious: 
Those math portions are no longer part of an accompanying library, but a 
library that - at least at this point - constitutes an entirely 
independent project. And I've found talk about it having been "renamed" 
(whatever that means) from `IlmBase` to `Imath`.


It's an ideal job to be delegated: I'm just as confuzzled by it all as 
anyone else.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms
Date: 3 Jun 2021 20:10:00
Message: <web.60b96ea1cb27e48a1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
I am excellent at asking about or stating the obvious, so...

Presumably you have seen these (?):

https://github.com/AcademySoftwareFoundation/Imath/blob/master/docs/PortingGuide2-3.md

https://github.com/aforsythe/IlmBase


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms
Date: 4 Jun 2021 15:15:16
Message: <60ba7bc4@news.povray.org>
Am 04.06.2021 um 02:06 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> I am excellent at asking about or stating the obvious, so...
> 
> Presumably you have seen these (?):
> 
>
https://github.com/AcademySoftwareFoundation/Imath/blob/master/docs/PortingGuide2-3.md

Nope.

> https://github.com/aforsythe/IlmBase

That repo has been inactive since 2012.


As I mentioned, I haven't looked too deep into this yet. And there's 
other stuff I have on my plate at the moment, which I can't delegate as 
easily.

So if anyone could step up and take over this task - from digging up 
info like the above, to actually implementing the necessary fixes - that 
would be terrific.


Post a reply to this message

From: Ton
Subject: Re: OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms
Date: 6 Jun 2021 22:40:00
Message: <web.60bd8638cb27e48a6aa9bed67597fb06@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> Am 04.06.2021 um 02:06 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> > I am excellent at asking about or stating the obvious, so...
> >
> > Presumably you have seen these (?):
> >
> >
https://github.com/AcademySoftwareFoundation/Imath/blob/master/docs/PortingGuide2-3.md
>
> Nope.
>
> > https://github.com/aforsythe/IlmBase
>
> That repo has been inactive since 2012.
>
>
> As I mentioned, I haven't looked too deep into this yet. And there's
> other stuff I have on my plate at the moment, which I can't delegate as
> easily.
>
> So if anyone could step up and take over this task - from digging up
> info like the above, to actually implementing the necessary fixes - that
> would be terrific.

Hi clipka, I'll have a look at this. I hope that installing openexr 3 will go
alright and when that's done I can start telling povray to use then new openexr.

Cheers
Ton.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms
Date: 7 Jun 2021 03:35:10
Message: <60bdcc2e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.06.2021 um 04:36 schrieb Ton:

> Hi clipka, I'll have a look at this. I hope that installing openexr 3 will go
> alright and when that's done I can start telling povray to use then new openexr.

Thanks, much appreciated!


Post a reply to this message

From: Ton
Subject: Re: OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms
Date: 15 Jun 2021 00:30:00
Message: <web.60c82c1fcb27e48a6aa9bed67597fb06@news.povray.org>
Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.7.0.9.unofficial (g++ 9 @
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
  OpenEXR 2.3.0 and IlmBase 2.3.0, Copyright (c) 2002-2011 Industrial Light &
Magic.
  ldd unix/povray
        libIlmImf-2_3.so.24 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libIlmImf-2_3.so.24
(0x00007fd918405000)
        libHalf.so.24 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libHalf.so.24
(0x00007fd9183c0000)
        libIex-2_3.so.24 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libIex-2_3.so.24
(0x00007fd91839f000)
        libIlmThread-2_3.so.24 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libIlmThread-2_3.so.24
(0x00007fd917902000)

  OpenEXR 3.1.0-dev and Imath 3.1.0-dev, Copyright (c) Contributors to the
OpenEXR Project.
  ldd unix/povray
        libOpenEXR-3_1.so.29 => /usr/local/lib/libOpenEXR-3_1.so.29
(0x00007f7266ba5000)
        libIlmThread-3_1.so.29 => /usr/local/lib/../lib/libIlmThread-3_1.so.29
(0x00007f7266108000)
        libImath-3_1.so.29 => /usr/local/lib/../lib/libImath-3_1.so.29
(0x00007f72660b3000)
        libIex-3_1.so.29 => /usr/local/lib/../lib/libIex-3_1.so.29
(0x00007f7266032000)


Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.8.0-alpha.11272893.unofficial
(g++ 9 @ x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
  OpenEXR 2.3.0 and IlmBase, Copyright (c) 2002-2011 Industrial Light & Magic.
  ldd unix/povray
        libIlmImf-2_3.so.24 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libIlmImf-2_3.so.24
(0x00007fa2290b8000)
        libHalf.so.24 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libHalf.so.24
(0x00007fa229073000)
        libIex-2_3.so.24 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libIex-2_3.so.24
(0x00007fa229052000)
        libIlmThread-2_3.so.24 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libIlmThread-2_3.so.24
(0x00007fa2285e1000)


So that seems to be working. What is the best way forward with the changed
files, ax_check_openexr.m4, povray.cpp and openexr.cpp?


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms
Date: 15 Jun 2021 08:51:41
Message: <60c8a25d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.06.2021 um 06:29 schrieb Ton:

> So that seems to be working. What is the best way forward with the changed
> files, ax_check_openexr.m4, povray.cpp and openexr.cpp?

Thanks, much appreciated!

Ideally, you'd set up a Git pull request for the `POV-Ray/povray` 
repository, based on the `release/v3.7.0` branch (NOT `master`); and if 
you feel like it, do the same based on the `release/v3.8.0` branch as 
well (again NOT `master`), but I reckon it should be easy to port the 
change over to v3.8 once it's in the Git repo.

If Git is not your sort of thing, please attach the files (complete - no 
diffs please!) to a post over at `povray.binaries.programming`, 
mentioning in the post what version you took the original files from. 
Ideally someone else can take it from there and turn it into a pull 
request or two - if not, I'll probably be able to find some time to take 
it from there myself eventually.


Post a reply to this message

From: Ton
Subject: Re: OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms
Date: 1 Jul 2021 20:40:00
Message: <web.60de6055cb27e48a152670647597fb06@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> Am 15.06.2021 um 06:29 schrieb Ton:
>
> > So that seems to be working. What is the best way forward with the changed
> > files, ax_check_openexr.m4, povray.cpp and openexr.cpp?
>
> Thanks, much appreciated!
>
> Ideally, you'd set up a Git pull request for the `POV-Ray/povray`
> repository, based on the `release/v3.7.0` branch (NOT `master`); and if
> you feel like it, do the same based on the `release/v3.8.0` branch as
> well (again NOT `master`), but I reckon it should be easy to port the
> change over to v3.8 once it's in the Git repo.
>
> If Git is not your sort of thing, please attach the files (complete - no
> diffs please!) to a post over at `povray.binaries.programming`,
> mentioning in the post what version you took the original files from.
> Ideally someone else can take it from there and turn it into a pull
> request or two - if not, I'll probably be able to find some time to take
> it from there myself eventually.

Hallo Christoph, just created two pull requests. I hope everything on my side
was done OK, first time I've done this.

Cheers
Ton.


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms
Date: 1 Jul 2021 22:04:08
Message: <60de7418$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.07.2021 um 02:39 schrieb Ton:

> Hallo Christoph, just created two pull requests. I hope everything on my side
> was done OK, first time I've done this.

Thanks - as for the "git technical" side, the pull requests look rock-solid.

There may be some issue with the suggested changes though - they don't 
seem to build properly on Windows. I'll try to make time tomorrow to 
have a closer look at what might be going on. (Also, no Unix test build 
triggered for the v3.7.0 version, but that's entirely on me.)


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: OpenEXR 3.x issues - call to arms
Date: 2 Jul 2021 05:51:45
Message: <60dee1b1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.07.2021 um 02:39 schrieb Ton:

> Hallo Christoph, just created two pull requests. I hope everything on my side
> was done OK, first time I've done this.

No formal complaints from my side - again, thanks!

There's one remaining issue that needs to be ironed out, and I've got a 
few suggestions for additional changes that you could also throw in 
along the way. See my comments to the v3.7 pull request (most also apply 
to v3.8).

As for the "git-technical" side, this should be fairly straightforward: 
All you'll have to do is push additional commits to the corresponding 
branches of your repo copy, and the pull requests should automatically 
pick those up and update themselves accordingly.


Christoph


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 3 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.