POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : qtpovray and debian Server Time
29 Mar 2024 06:07:45 EDT (-0400)
  qtpovray and debian (Message 31 to 38 of 38)
From: dick balaska
Subject: Re: qtpovray and debian
Date: 28 Jun 2018 16:21:00
Message: <5b35432c$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/28/2018 01:54 PM, jr wrote:
> hi,

> will do.  how does qtpovray invoke povray?  is the name hardwired?  I have only
> executables named 'povrayNN*', a symlink would be not as convenient for my
> setup, the ("dead") .ini file option looks so much better.  would it be much
> work to "resurrect" it?

povray is built into qtpovray.  There is no need for a separate
executable.  A symlink would be of no value because there is nothing to
point to. ;)

--
dik
Rendered 328976 of 330000 (99%)

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 28 Jun 2018 17:55:00
Message: <web.5b35580e1b94875a635cc5ad0@news.povray.org>
hi,

dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> > how does one re-open the render view + Consoles widgets after they have been
> > closed?  a GUI usually has a 'view' menu entry to toggle such panels on/off.
>
> I think I can add the 'view' menu.  Currently, it is Qt magic.
> Right-click on one of the docking borders. That is, the "Resources"
> header or the "Consoles" header. It will give you a list of available
> windows to turn on and off.

I tried switching all except 'main' off, then there seems to be no "docking
border"s.

> > btw, the 'help' and 'sample scenes' are not installed (did not "make install"),
> If you didn't install them, that's pretty much what you get.  I am going
> to dim those menu entries if they don't exist.

yes, or (as many do) a simple "ok" type dialog with message?

> And add a bit in the
> config dialog so you can point to wherever those directories live on
> your system.

sounds good.  more flexibility.

>  I just added those two menus last night, having discovered
> the pretty awesome distribution/scenes directory (open that in firefox).

I have those too, did them for povray 3.7.

> > also, many of the 'PrintStatusChanged' warnings, and one Xcb error, it seems,
> > per invocation.
> >
> > [19:23:28.805] WARN
> > Unhandled PrintStatusChanged
> >   ((null):0)
>
> This is debug foo. I should remove it from production.  Basically povray
> is telling me something I'm ignoring.

ok.

> > [19:51:01.141] WARN QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 2374,
> > resource id: 8682978, major code: 40 (TranslateCoords), minor code: 0 ((null):0)
>
> This one is interesting.  Um, what it means is um ...
> I would guess maybe it's trying to draw to one of the windows you closed
> (although Qt should be filtering that).

I wonder then whether it's one of the small "ok" type dialogs on starting (w/out
existing .pws files).

> > would like to read the tutorial etc, but, probably because I'm a bit dense at
> > times, the "compass" feature does not work for me, which "next" button?
> Last night I copied
> http://www.buckosoft.com/qtpov/
> http://www.buckosoft.com/qtpovray/
> and didn't fix the database driven navigation.  (I needed the url for
> the debian package.) Use the first one and ignore the bits about a
> separate websockets executable, and everywhere else read "qtpovray"
> where it says "qtpov".
> I am going to rework that so it can be included with the package.

cool.

> Thanks for trying it out!

soon you'll be pulling your hair out because I'll be nitpicking and flood you
with "feature requests".  :-)

speaking of which, the name of the current workspace (file) would be good to
have in the titlebar, or somewhere prominent.

(see, it's already started..  :-))

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

>> I think I can add the 'view' menu.  Currently, it is Qt magic.
>> Right-click on one of the docking borders. That is, the "Resources"
>> header or the "Consoles" header. It will give you a list of available
>> windows to turn on and off.
>
> I tried switching all except 'main' off, then there seems to be no "docking
> border"s.

Hmm, yes I see. You're kind of screwed, eh?

The toolbar has a grabber on the left side. Try to right-click that, or
someplace on the toolbar that's not a button.

>>> [19:51:01.141] WARN QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 2374,
>>> resource id: 8682978, major code: 40 (TranslateCoords), minor code: 0 ((null):0)
>>
>> This one is interesting.  Um, what it means is um ...
>> I would guess maybe it's trying to draw to one of the windows you closed
>> (although Qt should be filtering that).
>
> I wonder then whether it's one of the small "ok" type dialogs on starting (w/out
> existing .pws files).

Since this is something between Qt and X11, it would be helpful to know
when this error^H^H warning occurred.  My X log just has a ton of
"monitor on, monitor off".

> soon you'll be pulling your hair out because I'll be nitpicking and flood you
> with "feature requests".  :-)
>
> speaking of which, the name of the current workspace (file) would be good to
> have in the titlebar, or somewhere prominent.
>
> (see, it's already started..  :-))

I guess I should open the github bug thingy.

--
dik
Rendered 328976 of 330000 (99%)

Post a reply to this message

dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
> >> I think I can add the 'view' menu.  Currently, it is Qt magic.
> > I tried switching all except 'main' off, then there seems to be no "docking
> > border"s.
> Hmm, yes I see. You're kind of screwed, eh?

didn't you mean "screwy"?  :-)

> The toolbar has a grabber on the left side. Try to right-click that, or
> someplace on the toolbar that's not a button.

either way, thanks, easy -- once one knows.

> >> This one is interesting.  Um, what it means is um ...
> >> I would guess maybe it's trying to draw to one of the windows you closed
> >> (although Qt should be filtering that).
> > I wonder then whether it's one of the small "ok" type dialogs on starting (w/out
> > existing .pws files).
> Since this is something between Qt and X11, it would be helpful to know
> when this error^H^H warning occurred.  My X log just has a ton of
> "monitor on, monitor off".

I understand.  will try and pay closer attention when I'll use/play with
'qtpovray'.

> > soon you'll be pulling your hair out because I'll be nitpicking and flood you
> > with "feature requests".  :-)
> >
> > speaking of which, the name of the current workspace (file) would be good to
> > have in the titlebar, or somewhere prominent.
> >
> > (see, it's already started..  :-))
>
> I guess I should open the github bug thingy.

I'll make it worth your while: whether checked or not, "large icons" is,
apparently, all that is on offer.  ;-)

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message