POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : isosurface intersection code rewrite Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:51:44 EDT (-0400)
  isosurface intersection code rewrite (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Lukas Winter
Subject: isosurface intersection code rewrite
Date: 11 Mar 2008 12:15:39
Message: <47d6be3b$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,
as I was very interested in the isosurface intersection code I did a
complete rewrite of it based on the beta source. My new code moves all
the global and thread global structures and variables into classes and I
implemented some optimisations:
- Every isosurface now has a separate cache with multiple entries (speeds
up camera ray tests, shadow ray tests and reflection ray tests)
- Intersection points are interpolated, so much smaller accuracies are
sufficient
- An expensive optimisation that could speed up calculations when using
very slow functions (and slow down when using faster functions...)
- General code cleanup

Mostly due to the bigger cache raw isosurface performance (tested with
Christoph Hormann's SCC3 entry, all rays hit the isosurface, radiosity
off) is now about 25% bigger. The new code makes about 10% less function
VM calls. I did not do long tests but the new code is always faster... I
implemented almost (some statistics code is missing) all features of the
current beta. The results are not identical but the reason is
interpolation which leads to a higher quality!
If anyone is interested in the code I will post it on
povray.binaries.programming.
Regards,
Lukas Winter

Post a reply to this message

	Are you kidding?  Of course we are *not*  ;-)

	- NC

Post a reply to this message

> as I was very interested in the isosurface intersection code I did a
> complete rewrite of it based on the beta source. My new code moves all
> the global and thread global structures and variables into classes and I
> implemented some optimisations:
> - Every isosurface now has a separate cache with multiple entries (speeds
> up camera ray tests, shadow ray tests and reflection ray tests)

I am not sure how this is meant - the existing isosurface cache IIRC
speeds up subsequent rays missing the surface.

> - Intersection points are interpolated, so much smaller accuracies are
> sufficient

This is already in MegaPOV and i thought it also was in 3.7.

> - An expensive optimisation that could speed up calculations when using
> very slow functions (and slow down when using faster functions...)

More details would be required on this.

> Mostly due to the bigger cache raw isosurface performance (tested with
> Christoph Hormann's SCC3 entry, all rays hit the isosurface, radiosity
> off) is now about 25% bigger. The new code makes about 10% less function
> VM calls. I did not do long tests but the new code is always faster... I
> implemented almost (some statistics code is missing) all features of the
> current beta. The results are not identical but the reason is
> interpolation which leads to a higher quality!

Interpolating the intersection point should converge to the same result
as not doing so in all well defined cases.

-- Christoph

Post a reply to this message