POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : isosurface intersection code rewrite : Re: isosurface intersection code rewrite Server Time
27 Apr 2024 08:10:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurface intersection code rewrite
From: Lukas Winter
Date: 13 Mar 2008 07:00:46
Message: <47d9176e$1@news.povray.org>
Am Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:15:23 +0100 schrieb Christoph Hormann:

> is this cache per thread or global?  The former would make more sense
> since the rays are only correlated in a thread and not between several
> ones.  Also it would make sense to exclude radiosity rays.

There is one cache per thread per isosurface via
boost::thread_specific_ptr. I figured out that the number of cache
entries should be kept smaller than (number of lightsources + number of
reflective textures on the isosurface). So only one cache entry is enough
for most simple scenes with non-reflective isosurfaces.

> Sounds much like the sphere tracing technique to me - i once tried this
> and it did not seem to be have a significant advantage to me.

You are right. I did not know what this technique was called. The current
POV implementation finds a root on an interval [t_min, t_max] in a fixed
number of recursions. I tried to lower this number somehow but it did not
work out well.