POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : real time simulation with ray tracing Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:59:48 EDT (-0400)
  real time simulation with ray tracing (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Biter Bilen
Subject: real time simulation with ray tracing
Date: 22 Nov 2003 11:03:42
Message: <3fbf88de@news.povray.org>
I am a senior student and for the graduation project we will implement 3d
optical simulation as a part of the whole project. Ray tracing is the main
issue here. But as I was examing the optics.pow, i recognized that it was
too slow.
Since our system will be real-time, is ray-tracing appropriate for
implementation? if appropriate why is the optics.pow so slow?
thanks for any suggestions.

biter bilen
----------
METU
Computer Engineering Department

Post a reply to this message

> I am a senior student and for the graduation project we will implement 3d
> optical simulation as a part of the whole project. Ray tracing is the main
> issue here. But as I was examing the optics.pow, i recognized that it was
> too slow.
> Since our system will be real-time, is ray-tracing appropriate for
> implementation? if appropriate why is the optics.pow so slow?
> thanks for any suggestions.

First: Wrong newsgroup, please read the '[READ BEFORE POSTING]' message
in this group.

The 'optics.pov' sample scene is not a typical example for a raytracing
scene, it makes excessive use of photon mapping and media.  If
raytracing can be used in your project depends on what you are trying to
do, you did not tell anything about it.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> I am a senior student and for the graduation project we will implement 3d
> optical simulation as a part of the whole project. Ray tracing is the main
> issue here. But as I was examing the optics.pow, i recognized that it was
> too slow.
> Since our system will be real-time, is ray-tracing appropriate for
> implementation? if appropriate why is the optics.pow so slow?
> thanks for any suggestions.
>
> biter bilen
> METU
> Computer Engineering Department

Apart from what alreay said by Christoph, I remember Thorsten talking
about a real time raytracing demo... IIRC called Nature Sux or something
like that. I don't have it anymore but as far as I remember it was
pretty impressive.

--
Jonathan.