POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Highlight bug (job000137) Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Highlight bug (job000137) (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Massimo Valentini
Subject: Highlight bug (job000137)
Date: 5 Dec 2002 15:07:32
Message: <3defb204@news.povray.org>
From http://www.povray.org/download/3.5-bugs.php
http://news.povray.org/3bb4cf08@news.povray.org

<QUOTE>
// camera in front of box:
camera {location -2.5*z look_at 0}
// light_source behind box:
light_source {1000*z, color 1}
background {color <0.6,0.8,1.0>}
box {
   <-1,-1,0>, <1,1,0>

</QUOTE>

I think this is a case of the 'coincident surfaces problem'.
It suffices to thicken a little the box and the highlights
are no more visible.

Massimo

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Subject: Re: Highlight bug (job000137)
Date: 5 Dec 2002 15:30:21
Message: <3defb75d$1@news.povray.org>
> I think this is a case of the 'coincident surfaces problem'.
> It suffices to thicken a little the box and the highlights
> are no more visible.

Put the camera inside the box, where obviously no light can reach, and
you'll still see the problem. It is a legitimate bug, although using a flat
box probably wasn't the best way to report it.

Its sister bug is the "shadow line artifact" bug. They're both caused by
similar flaws in the same algorithm.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message