POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : (Request) Re: Height field bug found and fixed Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:36:31 EDT (-0400)
  (Request) Re: Height field bug found and fixed (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: (Request) Re: Height field bug found and fixed
Date: 6 Nov 2002 05:22:40
Message: <3dc8ed70@news.povray.org>
In article <3da337e1$1@news.povray.org> , "Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom> wrote:
> Have you ever created a smooth height field with some flat areas? Noticed
> how the smoothing around the flat areas, although looking rounded, doesn't
> quite look entirely *smooth*? See the image in p.b.i.
<snip>

Hi,

I noticed that you made your patch available, but it also includes numerous
extensions to the code that have nothing to do with the actual problem.
Would it be possible to provide a hfield.cpp which only fixes the bug and
not requiring me to carefully dissect the code and remove everything that is
not part of the bug fix?

This would really speed-up the process of integrating your bugfix into a
future official POV-Ray 3.5 :-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 11:22:40 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde>
wrote:
> I noticed that you made your patch available, but it also includes numerous
> extensions to the code that have nothing to do with the actual problem.
> Would it be possible to provide a hfield.cpp which only fixes the bug and
> not requiring me to carefully dissect the code and remove everything that is
> not part of the bug fix?
>
> This would really speed-up the process of integrating your bugfix into a
> future official POV-Ray 3.5 :-)

I'm not sure we are talking about the same bugfix but I have received changes
extracted by Slime and you can find it in PoPOV marked with SMOOTH_HF_PATCH

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not sure we are talking about the same bugfix but I have received changes
> extracted by Slime and you can find it in PoPOV marked with SMOOTH_HF_PATCH

Well, that is the code I am refering to.  It contains numerous extension as
well, which is the problem.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> > I'm not sure we are talking about the same bugfix but I have received changes
> > extracted by Slime and you can find it in PoPOV marked with SMOOTH_HF_PATCH
>
> Well, that is the code I am refering to.  It contains numerous extension as
> well, which is the problem.

But note that 'hfield.cpp' from slimepov and popov are not identical, the
'SMOOTH_HF_PATCH' from popov is really only a small modification (in line
880 and 890 in the file from popov) so it's easy to extract.

Christoph

Last updated 02 Nov. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 12:20:44 +0100, Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
wrote:
> 'SMOOTH_HF_PATCH' from popov

from PoPOV ;-)

ABX

Post a reply to this message

>> I'm not sure we are talking about the same bugfix but I have received changes
>> extracted by Slime and you can find it in PoPOV marked with SMOOTH_HF_PATCH
>
> Well, that is the code I am refering to.  It contains numerous extension as
> well, which is the problem.

Actually, the code I was refering to was that now inside
NORMAL_ACCURACY_BUGFIX_PATCH.

Thanks for the link in the email.  I now have what I was looking for.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> I noticed that you made your patch available, but it also includes
numerous
> extensions to the code that have nothing to do with the actual problem.
> Would it be possible to provide a hfield.cpp which only fixes the bug and
> not requiring me to carefully dissect the code and remove everything that
is
> not part of the bug fix?

Mmm. I haven't touched the patch for a while. I'll see if I can create a new
hfield.cpp.

All you want is the smoothing artifact bugfix, right? (Not to be confused
with the normal accuracy bugfix, which has nothing to do with height fields,
but should probably also be included in the official version. That's just a
single line change though.)

I'll email it to you later.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 13:43:33 -0500, "Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom> wrote:
> All you want is the smoothing artifact bugfix, right? (Not to be confused
> with the normal accuracy bugfix, which has nothing to do with height fields,
> but should probably also be included in the official version. That's just a
> single line change though.)

Slime, please, look at hfield.cpp in PoPOV. Somehow I feel all changes I have
introduced are correct but perhaps marked wrong. Thanks in advance.

ABX

Post a reply to this message