POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Attitude - A Suggestion for Future Discussions... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:34:54 EDT (-0400)
  Attitude - A Suggestion for Future Discussions... (Message 4 to 13 of 23)
<<< Previous 3 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Attitude - A Suggestion for Future Discussions...
Date: 1 Oct 2002 11:20:02
Message: <3d99bd22@news.povray.org>
In article <3d99b4fb@news.povray.org> , "Vadim Sytnikov" <syt### [at] rucom>
wrote:

> The real (yes, real) problem is the number of warnings 3.5 generates.

It simply depends on the compiler and settings you use.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 1 Oct 2002 12:19:31
Message: <3D99CB0F.5DE476A8@gmx.de>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> [...]
>
> I do not care for the tons of hypothetical or impractical or already known
> to be wrong examples given in the whole thread of discussion.

I have no way enough knowledge about the matters discussed here to form a
justified opinion, but in the end it really does not matter much who is
right and who not about these specific questions.

What i have been missing in your posts of this thread is a statement of
understanding to those who compile POV-Ray with gcc every day and
therefore have problems with all those warnings without any conncetion to
the reason of the warning in the first place.  To me it seems that both
ABX and Vadim respect your opinion on the matter of the warnings and their
reasons but your arguments would probably be much better received if you
better show your understanding of someone's motives for working and making
thoughts on that matter.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 13 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> What i have been missing in your posts of this thread is a statement of
> understanding to those who compile POV-Ray with gcc every day and
> therefore have problems with all those warnings without any conncetion to
> the reason of the warning in the first place.  To me it seems that both
> ABX and Vadim respect your opinion on the matter of the warnings and their
> reasons but your arguments would probably be much better received if you
> better show your understanding of someone's motives for working and making
> thoughts on that matter.

Well, reading the documentation of gcc suggests to use "-Wno-multichar" as a
command line option to turn those warnings off.  In fact it can be found in
all versions of the gcc online documentation at

<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-2.95.3/gcc_2.html#SEC8>
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.0.4/gcc_3.html#SEC11>
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.1.1/gcc/Warning-Options.html#Warning%20
Options>
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2/gcc/Warning-Options.html#Warning%20Op
tions>

Really trivial, if you ask me.  I could find it within seconds at the place
I would expect it (warning command line options) yet I really do not use gcc
frequently at all.

It is also trivial to find in google, which returns currect help for this
problem at least behind every link of the first three result pages!

<http://www.google.com/search?q=multicharacter+constant+gcc+warning>

So it is really not difficult to turn it off and no longer have any
problems.  And indeed, if it is that easy to turn off, I do not understand
their problem with it.