POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Wave photons? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:25:30 EDT (-0400)
  Wave photons? (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: RAY
Subject: Re: Wave photons?
Date: 21 Mar 2002 19:00:58
Message: <3c9a743a$1@news.povray.org>
>   That's not refraction but interference, which is a completely different
> phenomenon.
The light refracts through the slits, causing the light not to be two
parallel lines.

--
__________________
 RAY

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Mar 2002 21:28:18
Message: <chrishuff-A276FE.21283321032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c9a743a$1@news.povray.org>, "RAY" <RAY### [at] yahoocom>
wrote:

> >   That's not refraction but interference, which is a completely different
> > phenomenon.
> The light refracts through the slits, causing the light not to be two
> parallel lines.

That isn't refraction, it is diffraction. Refraction is bending of light
at the interface of two media with different optical densities (which
doesn't have anything to do with their physical density).

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: RAY
Date: 22 Mar 2002 00:16:57
Message: <3c9abe49$1@news.povray.org>
>That isn't refraction, it is diffraction
They all sound the same ;-)

--
__________________
 RAY

Post a reply to this message

From: Tore
Date: 4 Apr 2002 20:50:49
Message: <3CACF5DD.3020903@online.no>
RAY wrote:
> Would it be possible to simulate photons with the wave model of light?  I'm
> not a programmer, but I think this can be done.  Also, are there any

It is possible. Here is how I did it (crappily) a good while ago:

1. Sample a wavefront into a 2D matrix of complex values. This is
    your light source.
2. Propagate this through the scene by either integration in the
    space-domain (costly) or an appropriate fourier transform in
    the frequency-domain.
3. Every intersection with an interface is a scalar adjustment to
    the matrix.
4. Finally run the matrix thru a simulated lens to generate an
    image.

Modern computers are not yet there to do this on anything but the
most primitive test scenes (ie Youngs slits experiment)

-tore

Post a reply to this message

From: Apache
Date: 6 Apr 2002 10:20:24
Message: <3caf1238@news.povray.org>
Do you have a pic of the results? I'm very interested in this kind of
experiments.

--
Apache
http://geitenkaas.dns2go.com/experiments/