POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Wave photons? : Re: Wave photons? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:31:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wave photons?
From: Tore
Date: 4 Apr 2002 20:50:49
Message: <3CACF5DD.3020903@online.no>
RAY wrote:
> Would it be possible to simulate photons with the wave model of light?  I'm
> not a programmer, but I think this can be done.  Also, are there any

It is possible. Here is how I did it (crappily) a good while ago:

1. Sample a wavefront into a 2D matrix of complex values. This is
    your light source.
2. Propagate this through the scene by either integration in the
    space-domain (costly) or an appropriate fourier transform in
    the frequency-domain.
3. Every intersection with an interface is a scalar adjustment to
    the matrix.
4. Finally run the matrix thru a simulated lens to generate an
    image.

Modern computers are not yet there to do this on anything but the
most primitive test scenes (ie Youngs slits experiment)

-tore