POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : still about povray source code Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  still about povray source code (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Subject: still about povray source code
Date: 11 Dec 2000 06:22:22
Message: <3a34b8ee@news.povray.org>
I want add/ask something

first:

why assign_XXXXs (vector , matrices) with memcpy
are not used in functions from matrices.c ?
as I remember from assembler, loops with assigment
are slower than fast memory transfer

second:

perhaps this is not important for advenced pov-programmers but...

All_XXX_Intersections()

why this not return ALL if there is ALL in name ?

is this proper name for function?
for beginner this makes trouble, belive me :-)

ABX

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:22:48 +0100, Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba wrote:
>All_XXX_Intersections()
>
>why this not return ALL if there is ALL in name ?

It should return all, but meshes and some other objects are exceptions to
the rule, usually for speed considerations.  Anything you can use in CSG
should definitely return all.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Post a reply to this message

> >why this not return ALL if there is ALL in name ?
>
> It should return all, but meshes and some other objects are exceptions to
> the rule, usually for speed considerations.  Anything you can use in CSG
> should definitely return all.

hmm, but everything returns only positive vales of depth
this isn't all

ABX

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:57:57 +0100, Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba wrote:
>Ron Parker wrote in message ...
>> >All_XXX_Intersections()
>> >
>> >why this not return ALL if there is ALL in name ?
>>
>> It should return all, but meshes and some other objects are exceptions to
>> the rule, usually for speed considerations.  Anything you can use in CSG
>> should definitely return all.
>

>hmm, but everything returns only positive vales of depth
>this isn't all

Sure it is.  "All intersections" means "all intersections of the object with
a ray."  Since a ray goes only one direction from a point, all of the
intersections with that ray will be in a positive direction.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Post a reply to this message

>>> It should return all, but meshes and some other objects are exceptions to
>>> the rule, usually for speed considerations.  Anything you can use in CSG
>>> should definitely return all.
>>

>>hmm, but everything returns only positive vales of depth
>>this isn't all
>
> Sure it is.  "All intersections" means "all intersections of the object with
> a ray."

unfotunatly I didn't found such comment in code

> Since a ray goes only one direction from a point, all of the
> intersections with that ray will be in a positive direction.

sure, I understand idea
but unfotunatly when I sit to code I consider ray as line
as I said this is annoying only for beginner :-(

ABX

Post a reply to this message

>> Sure it is.  "All intersections" means "all intersections of the object with
>> a ray."
>
> unfotunatly I didn't found such comment in code

Doesn't the function take a "Ray" as argument?

This might have to do with that fact that POV-Ray is something called a
"ray-tracer", not a "line-tracer" ;-)

   Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

>>> Sure it is.  "All intersections" means "all intersections of the object with
>>> a ray."
>>
>> unfotunatly I didn't found such comment in code
>
> Doesn't the function take a "Ray" as argument?

sure, trivial, simple ?
parametric equation of line is exactly ray equation
vector structure is used for both: vectors and points

I thought at first that for csg operation
this always return all intersections and only filter it later

> This might have to do with that fact that POV-Ray is something called a
> "ray-tracer", not a "line-tracer" ;-)

oh, common! I just forgot ;-)

ABX