POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A common povray source tree ? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 16:05:26 EDT (-0400)
  A common povray source tree ? (Message 1 to 10 of 27)
From: Nicolas Calimet
Subject: A common povray source tree ?
Date: 12 Feb 2003 16:16:54
Message: <3E4AB9C5.9070501@free.fr>
Hiya,

	Following some discussions about patching the povray source
code, I'm just wondering why the source tree is not common to all
architectures ? That is, there would be the generic, platform-independent
source files in e.g. the main source directory, and all other unix/
mac/ windows/ dos/ amiga/ etc.../ would be provided as well.
	I suppose the subdivision was initially meant to be a bandwith
saving trick, but it does make things harder to maintain, doesn't it ?
Especially in the context of patching and/or public repositery (if any).
Is bandwith for a (efficiently compressed) source tree as important as
the one devoted to binary distributions ? I don't think the extra files
would take so much space or bandwith. However I'm maybe wrong since I
never downloaded anything but the unix/linux source files...

	Just a stupid question actually  :o)
	And sorry if another "moron" already asked for it before  ;oppp

	- NC

Post a reply to this message

>         Following some discussions about patching the povray source
> code, I'm just wondering why the source tree is not common to all
> architectures ? That is, there would be the generic, platform-independent
> source files in e.g. the main source directory, and all other unix/
> mac/ windows/ dos/ amiga/ etc.../ would be provided as well.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.  Of course the official (non
public) source repository contains the source for all platforms.  But the
source packages only contain the files needed for one platform of course.
Do you suggest there should be an official complete source package with
the platform specific files of all platforms?

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> Do you suggest there should be an official complete source package with
> the platform specific files of all platforms?

If that is indeed the suggestion, it wouldn't work because certain platform
require files in a certain format (line-endings, multiple forks, etc) that
would not be portable anyway.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde