POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A common povray source tree ? : Re: A common povray source tree ? Server Time
4 Oct 2024 16:56:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A common povray source tree ?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 13 Feb 2003 04:56:35
Message: <3E4B6BD3.A7CBFBBA@gmx.de>
Nicolas Calimet wrote:

> > Do you suggest there should be an official complete source package with
> > the platform specific files of all platforms?
>
>         Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Unified source. No redundancy.
> Archive provided in different formats (zip, rar, tar.gz, tar.bz2, ...)
> instead of platform-specific. Same filename for all as a big advantage  :o)

No.  As Thorsten explained this would not work because the file formats
are not platform independent.  The whole thing would result in one archive
for each platform again, the only difference would be that it would
contain a lot of files not needed for the user.

I don't really see the advantage - what would you gain by having for
example all the mac specific files on a unix machine.  You can't use them.

Christoph

Last updated 31 Dec. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______