POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : "Photo realistic" motion, animation extension Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  "Photo realistic" motion, animation extension (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: yogesh c
Subject: "Photo realistic" motion, animation extension
Date: 27 Jun 2001 12:57:36
Message: <3B3A127A.FF08EA23@mail.utexas.edu>
I am new to the message board thing, so I apologize if this message
doesn't come across properly.

I am interested in receiving any and all critiques of an idea I have
about an extension of POV-Ray's ability to animate.  Since I don't
really know how to program, and I have very little sense of how POV-Ray
actually works, it may be a really stupid idea--I just don't know enough
to be able to say.  Even if it is, I would appreciate hearing that so I
can put the idea to bed.

My idea has three parts:

    1.  What if the program could take information not only about the
surfaces and textures of ray traced objects, but also about their
physical characteristics.  Things such as mass, stiffness, co-efficient
of friction, viscosity, etc.

    2.  What if it could also process information about forces acting on
objects.  This type of information could include global settings such as
gravity, or wind (could this be modeled using texture map patterns?), as
well as local forces acting on specific objects.  It might do two things
with this information: first, it might set up motion vectors for objects
based on the information given in the properties statements (see 1,
above), and, second, it might deform objects based on the same
information

    3.  Finally, what if POV could process motion vectors  and
deformations from the reactions and interactions of specific groups of
objects (specified by the user) and calculate new sets of deformations
and vectors based on these new sets of data.  I mean by this that POV
would be able to calculate the interaction of specified objects,
allowing them to bounce off each other, or roll along, or otherwise
interact, or deform each other according to the individual properties of
the objects.  I don't know if the program could use its ability to "see"
surfaces by shooting rays in order to check for these interactions
between specified objects in a scene, but that is my initial thought.

In creating an animation, then, one would specify global and object
properties, specify forces at play in the scene, and let the program do
the rest of the work in calculating the motion, deformation and events
in the scene over the length of the animation in question.

One of the things that I like about this idea is that it would make many
types of impressive animation fairly simple to pull off.  A ball rolling
down a height field, or a foot stepping into wet sand might become basic
animation sequences, rather than the results of hard labor and much
skill.  I can imagine POV even pulling off complex animation such as an
object floating on the surface of the ocean, reacting realistically to
the forces at work, or the motion of wind in the leaves of a tree, some
time in the near future, when computers get fast enough and large enough
to handle this kind of complexity.

Another thing I like about it is that it seems to me like a simple
extension of the way in which POV-Ray currently works (conceptually, I
mean--making POV-Ray do this might be an entirely different story).  My
idea is that POV would simply get the ability to store Physical
Properties in the same way that it stores textures, and that it would
work with those and the forces at play in any animation to create "photo
realisitc" types of motion in its function as generator of animation,
just as it creates "photo realistic" images from its scene parser and
renderer.

Thank you for any comments you have about this idea.  I will be grateful
for anything you could say either to squelch it, express interest or
boredom with it, or improve it in any way.

my e-mail address is: eri### [at] wansnet

Thanks again for any replies,

Eric Fisher

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: