POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Background colours and antialiasing Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Background colours and antialiasing (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Edmund Horner
Subject: Background colours and antialiasing
Date: 31 Jul 2000 01:12:41
Message: <39850ac9@news.povray.org>
Hello all.

Lately I've been planning to raytrace a whole lot of graphics for a game I'm
making...  Antialiased pictures would be nicer, of course, but that leaves
the issue of which background colour to use for the rendering.

I think it would be nice to have an AA mode that does _NOT_ affect pixels
that touch the background, thus making AA pictures work fine with all colour
backgrounds.

I hope the above makes some sense!

I'm not sure whether this would mean a new AA mode (e.g. +AM3), or what, but
it would be very nice!

Thanks,
Edmund.

Post a reply to this message

isn't AA the blending and/or blurring of two colors along a sharp line?
unless it's possible to restrict AA to inside an object, making the
model color semi-transparent along the AA area, i don't see how this
could be done.

Edmund Horner wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Lately I've been planning to raytrace a whole lot of graphics for a game I'm
> making...  Antialiased pictures would be nicer, of course, but that leaves
> the issue of which background colour to use for the rendering.
>
> I think it would be nice to have an AA mode that does _NOT_ affect pixels
> that touch the background, thus making AA pictures work fine with all colour
> backgrounds.
>
> I hope the above makes some sense!
>
> I'm not sure whether this would mean a new AA mode (e.g. +AM3), or what, but
> it would be very nice!
>
> Thanks,
> Edmund.

Post a reply to this message