POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : The math of circular truetype fonts Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  The math of circular truetype fonts (Message 1 to 10 of 27)
From: Lummox JR
Subject: The math of circular truetype fonts
Date: 21 Feb 2000 13:13:24
Message: <38B18153.72BE@aol.com>
Here's the problem: I want to modify truetype.c in the POV-Ray source to
allow text objects to be bent around a circle (without distorting the
characters). I would like to be able to specify either an inner radius
for the text or a desired total arc angle. The characters would be
separated by chords equal in length to the distance normally separating
each character, plus two more chords equal to half of the character
widths on each end.
Now when radius is specified, the total angle is easy to compute because
it's the sum of all the chord angles. Given the radius, those angles are
easy to find. But when the problem is reversed, only a total angle and
the individual chords are known, but so far I haven't figured out any
way to calculate the radius that fits. (It's pretty easy to determine
that there is such a radius, and the minimum possible value of that
radius is easy to find. But the exact value I can only think to find by
guessing.)
Without a radius given, finding the radius is awfully hard. Yet the
value of this solution is obvious, since being able to fill in a
specific arc angle will often be far more useful than fitting text
around a specific radius.
This seems like it should be a simple problem, so I've asked elsewhere,
but so far with no results. Since it came up in the course of my working
with POV-Ray, I figured I'd take a whack at asking here.

Lummox JR

Post a reply to this message

In article <38B### [at] aolcom> , Lummox JR <Lum### [at] aolcom>  wrote:

> Here's the problem: I want to modify truetype.c in the POV-Ray source to
> allow text objects to be bent around a circle (without distorting the
> characters). I would like to be able to specify either an inner radius
> for the text or a desired total arc angle. The characters would be
> separated by chords equal in length to the distance normally separating
> each character, plus two more chords equal to half of the character
> widths on each end.
> Now when radius is specified, the total angle is easy to compute because
> it's the sum of all the chord angles. Given the radius, those angles are
> easy to find. But when the problem is reversed, only a total angle and
> the individual chords are known, but so far I haven't figured out any
> way to calculate the radius that fits. (It's pretty easy to determine
> that there is such a radius, and the minimum possible value of that
> radius is easy to find. But the exact value I can only think to find by
> guessing.)
> Without a radius given, finding the radius is awfully hard. Yet the
> value of this solution is obvious, since being able to fill in a
> specific arc angle will often be far more useful than fitting text
> around a specific radius.
> This seems like it should be a simple problem, so I've asked elsewhere,
> but so far with no results. Since it came up in the course of my working
> with POV-Ray, I figured I'd take a whack at asking here.

Hmm, did you ever pay attention in your math classes? ;-)

Given that you know the total length you can use 2*pi*r (perimeter of a
circle) and the fact that  2*pi*r*360/angle = length

     Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde