POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : animation & memory Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  animation & memory (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Remco de Korte
Subject: animation & memory
Date: 13 Sep 1999 12:03:55
Message: <37DD217B.92154C38@xs4all.nl>
I did a little test: a simple file, rendered as an animation with 100 frames.
Each frame is the same but when I check the stats the peak memory increases with
each frame. After the first frame the increase is the largest, after that it's
only small steps, but I'm sure this must mean something 8)

Adios!

Remco

Post a reply to this message

> I did a little test: a simple file, rendered as an animation with 100 frames.
> Each frame is the same but when I check the stats the peak memory increases with
> each frame. After the first frame the increase is the largest, after that it's
> only small steps, but I'm sure this must mean something 8)
>
> Adios!
>
> Remco

hi remco,

you should be more specific. which pov-ray version do
you use?

try dumping the heap right before and after each frame
and make some diffs.

(i can send you a hacked mem module which dumps the
heap contents to a file if the problem really bothers
you.)

	y.

Post a reply to this message

> > I did a little test: a simple file, rendered as an animation with 100 frames.
> > Each frame is the same but when I check the stats the peak memory increases with
> > each frame. After the first frame the increase is the largest, after that it's
> > only small steps, but I'm sure this must mean something 8)
> >
> > Adios!
> >
> > Remco
>
> hi remco,
>
> you should be more specific. which pov-ray version do
> you use?

Windows version 3.1g

> try dumping the heap right before and after each frame
> and make some diffs.
>
> (i can send you a hacked mem module which dumps the
> heap contents to a file if the problem really bothers
> you.)
>
>         y.

I'm not trying to compile POV or anything I just noticed this
and thought perhaps it could be of interest for those who have
a clue of what might be going on. Perhaps some more testing
(with an idea in mind of what to look for) could help.

Regards,

Remco

Post a reply to this message

> > you should be more specific. which pov-ray version do
> > you use?
>
> Windows version 3.1g

i have never noticed a memory leakage with 3.02 on various
unix (and similar) systems.

> > try dumping the heap right before and after each frame
> > and make some diffs.
> >
> > (i can send you a hacked mem module which dumps the
> > heap contents to a file if the problem really bothers
> > you.)
>
> I'm not trying to compile POV or anything I just noticed this
> and thought perhaps it could be of interest for those who have
> a clue of what might be going on. Perhaps some more testing
> (with an idea in mind of what to look for) could help.

i also have no time for inspecting the problem,
i can only offer the heap dumping function to
someone who is willing to do the compiling and
diffing. there are perhaps other people having
the same problem, let's wait what they say.
till then, save the source of your animation,
.ini files etc and forget it.

	y.

Post a reply to this message

> > > you should be more specific. which pov-ray version do
> > > you use?
> >
> > Windows version 3.1g
>
> i have never noticed a memory leakage with 3.02 on various
> unix (and similar) systems.
>
> > > try dumping the heap right before and after each frame
> > > and make some diffs.
> > >
> > > (i can send you a hacked mem module which dumps the
> > > heap contents to a file if the problem really bothers
> > > you.)
> >
> > I'm not trying to compile POV or anything I just noticed this
> > and thought perhaps it could be of interest for those who have
> > a clue of what might be going on. Perhaps some more testing
> > (with an idea in mind of what to look for) could help.
>
> i also have no time for inspecting the problem,
> i can only offer the heap dumping function to
> someone who is willing to do the compiling and
> diffing. there are perhaps other people having
> the same problem, let's wait what they say.
> till then, save the source of your animation,
> .ini files etc and forget it.
>
>         y.

  It is a documented phenomenom and there is a logical reason for it. I
just don't remember off hand what it is.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 1000+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

> > > you should be more specific. which pov-ray version do
> > > you use?
> >
> > Windows version 3.1g
>
> i have never noticed a memory leakage with 3.02 on various
> unix (and similar) systems.
>
> > > try dumping the heap right before and after each frame
> > > and make some diffs.
> > >
> > > (i can send you a hacked mem module which dumps the
> > > heap contents to a file if the problem really bothers
> > > you.)
> >
> > I'm not trying to compile POV or anything I just noticed this
> > and thought perhaps it could be of interest for those who have
> > a clue of what might be going on. Perhaps some more testing
> > (with an idea in mind of what to look for) could help.
>
> i also have no time for inspecting the problem,
> i can only offer the heap dumping function to
> someone who is willing to do the compiling and
> diffing. there are perhaps other people having
> the same problem, let's wait what they say.
> till then, save the source of your animation,
> .ini files etc and forget it.
>
>         y.

This was not really a problem for me, I just noticed it. I think the source I
used for this is not really relevant (it isn't really relevant in general ;)).
Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Remco