POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Triangle with three colours Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:20 EDT (-0400)
  Triangle with three colours (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Lothar Esser
Subject: Triangle with three colours
Date: 27 Aug 1999 10:50:36
Message: <37C6A5A9.3FF6A113@chop.swmed.edu>
Dear POV-Ray Programmers,

  this may be a bit off the subject but I wonder if it is possible to
include a way in POV-Ray to draw triangles with three different colours
one at each corner ( the interior of the triangle would then be filled with
a colour gradient). I know that there are excellent workarounds available
from Cris Colefax for Povray 3.0 and 3.1. However despite the neatness of
these include files and macros it appears to me as if this could be easily
done in Povray. One could extend this idea also a little bit further - well
it will eventually lead to the possibility to assign texture coordinates
to vertices in a more general way. I haven't really looked at Povray 3.1 so
this may already be available and I just missed it but in the past textures
were generated and transformed so that they fit to the object. But what would
be nice in addition to that is to have an option to specify textures at each
corner of a polygon or - in the case I am interested in of a triangle. This
would reduce the amount of work the user has to do to make sure that
the texture really lies in the correct position with respect to the outline
of the object.

Thanks,

   Lothar Esser

Dr. Lothar Esser
UT Southwestern Medical Center Dallas
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas Texas 75235-9050
E-mail : ess### [at] chopswmededu

where you can spezify for each vertex of a triangle an individual color.

Hope, this helps

Zan T.

Lothar Esser schrieb:

> Dear POV-Ray Programmers,
>
>   this may be a bit off the subject but I wonder if it is possible to
> include a way in POV-Ray to draw triangles with three different colours
> one at each corner ( the interior of the triangle would then be filled with
> a colour gradient). I know that there are excellent workarounds available
> from Cris Colefax for Povray 3.0 and 3.1. However despite the neatness of
> these include files and macros it appears to me as if this could be easily
> done in Povray. One could extend this idea also a little bit further - well
> it will eventually lead to the possibility to assign texture coordinates
> to vertices in a more general way. I haven't really looked at Povray 3.1 so
> this may already be available and I just missed it but in the past textures
> were generated and transformed so that they fit to the object. But what would
> be nice in addition to that is to have an option to specify textures at each
> corner of a polygon or - in the case I am interested in of a triangle. This
> would reduce the amount of work the user has to do to make sure that
> the texture really lies in the correct position with respect to the outline
> of the object.
>
> Thanks,
>
>    Lothar Esser

> Dr. Lothar Esser
> UT Southwestern Medical Center Dallas
> 5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
> Dallas Texas 75235-9050
> E-mail : ess### [at] chopswmededu

  well it seems that this comes pretty close to  what I had in mind.
 Thanks.

   Lothar