POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Media Density and Color Maps Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Media Density and Color Maps (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Ken
Subject: Media Density and Color Maps
Date: 16 Jun 1999 11:14:55
Message: <3767BC8C.D5544D2@pacbell.net>
Currently the only color modifications allowed in a media density
statment is by specifying a color map. Would it be possible to add
image mapping to this function allowing the color pallet of the
image used to effect the color density of the media ?

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:02:36 -0700, Ken wrote:

>  Currently the only color modifications allowed in a media density
>statment is by specifying a color map. Would it be possible to add
>image mapping to this function allowing the color pallet of the
>image used to effect the color density of the media ?

Yep.  It's a one-line change in parstxtr.c.  Works like a charm.
The only thing keeping it from working is that it is explicity
disallowed.  That's probably an oversight.

Post a reply to this message

> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:02:36 -0700, Ken wrote:
> >
> >  Currently the only color modifications allowed in a media density
> >statment is by specifying a color map. Would it be possible to add
> >image mapping to this function allowing the color pallet of the
> >image used to effect the color density of the media ?
>
> Yep.  It's a one-line change in parstxtr.c.  Works like a charm.
> The only thing keeping it from working is that it is explicity
> disallowed.  That's probably an oversight.

  Strange they left that one out. Maybe there was not enough time to
document it before the version release but on a few occassions now I
have wished I could use this added feature.

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:56:23 -0700, Ken wrote:
>Ron Parker wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:02:36 -0700, Ken wrote:
>> >
>> >  Currently the only color modifications allowed in a media density
>> >statment is by specifying a color map. Would it be possible to add
>> >image mapping to this function allowing the color pallet of the
>> >image used to effect the color density of the media ?
>>
>> Yep.  It's a one-line change in parstxtr.c.  Works like a charm.
>> The only thing keeping it from working is that it is explicity
>> disallowed.  That's probably an oversight.
>
>  Strange they left that one out. Maybe there was not enough time to
>document it before the version release but on a few occassions now I
>have wished I could use this added feature.

I think it was just an honest mistake.  The error message is supposed
to apply to use of the image_map pattern in a normal block.  In older
code, normal and pigment were the only things that used patterns, so
it would have made sense to force image_maps to be inside pigment blocks.
Odd, though, that the other two cases of things that could only be used
in pigment blocks (color and color_map) were fixed and image_map was
not.

Post a reply to this message

On 16 Jun 1999 12:15:53 -0400, par### [at] fwicom (Ron Parker) wrote:

>I think it was just an honest mistake.  The error message is supposed
>to apply to use of the image_map pattern in a normal block.  In older
>code, normal and pigment were the only things that used patterns, so
>it would have made sense to force image_maps to be inside pigment blocks.
>Odd, though, that the other two cases of things that could only be used
>in pigment blocks (color and color_map) were fixed and image_map was
>not.

Does this mean yet another enhancement for a future version of the
Superpatch?

Later,

Glen Berry

Post a reply to this message