POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Splines in POV-Ray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:15 EDT (-0400)
  Splines in POV-Ray (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Brad S  Freeman
Subject: Splines in POV-Ray
Date: 9 Jun 1999 14:25:30
Message: <375eb19a@news.povray.org>
I wonder why one concept that is implemented in nearly every 3D raytracer
isn't implemented in POV-Ray - what I mean are splines. Well, they are
actually being used by prisms and lathes and so on, but it would be useful
if you could define a spline path and then, for example, move the camera (or
other objects)  along it during an animation, or extrude some shapes along
this spline.
However, you would have to compute the points with an external program. Code
could be looking like this:

spline {
    cubic,                    // spline type
    4                           // number of points
    <Point1>, <Point2>, <Point3>, <Point4>
}

You also could do some other crazy things, for example rotate objects around
a spline (or actually, its tangent). There are certanly several other
things.

--Brad

Post a reply to this message