POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : DJGPP : no more memory Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:26:52 EDT (-0400)
  DJGPP : no more memory (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: jko
Subject: DJGPP : no more memory
Date: 13 Oct 1998 16:30:05
Message: <3623AA13.F32149D1@home.com>
Hi,

I have installed djgpp 2.01 and I'm trying to compile POV-ray for MSDOS
so that I can try some unofficial debugging of the bump_map code.

POV-ray source code comes with a *.mak file specifically for djgpp, but
for some reason I had to work through a lot of syntax errors.

Now I'm within 10 lines of the end of the *.mak file and I'm getting the
error:

at line 240 : no more memory

I have 256 megs of RAM, and I've tried everything I know to free up more
DOS memory via config.sys lines.

At this point my DPMI is set so that when I run go32-v2 it reads:

DPMI memory available 151,759 Kb
DPMI swap space available: 46,281 Kb

If I type MEM I am showing:

Largest executable program size  604K (618,752)

I tried exiting Windows98 into MSDOS mode, but I get the same error.

I don't know whether it's Make.exe or DJGPP that's running out of memory
or what the problem is, but I would think I've freed up enough.

If anyone has even a guess as to what might be going on, I'd much
appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,

Kevin Odhner
jko### [at] homecom

(I'll check back here, but if you're willing, use jko### [at] homecom )

Post a reply to this message

> I have installed djgpp 2.01 and I'm trying to compile POV-ray for MSDOS
> so that I can try some unofficial debugging of the bump_map code.
>
> POV-ray source code comes with a *.mak file specifically for djgpp, but
> for some reason I had to work through a lot of syntax errors.
>
> Now I'm within 10 lines of the end of the *.mak file and I'm getting the
> error:
>
> at line 240 : no more memory
>
> I have 256 megs of RAM, and I've tried everything I know to free up more
> DOS memory via config.sys lines.
>
> At this point my DPMI is set so that when I run go32-v2 it reads:
>
> DPMI memory available 151,759 Kb
> DPMI swap space available: 46,281 Kb
>
> If I type MEM I am showing:
>
> Largest executable program size  604K (618,752)
>
> I tried exiting Windows98 into MSDOS mode, but I get the same error.
>
> I don't know whether it's Make.exe or DJGPP that's running out of memory
> or what the problem is, but I would think I've freed up enough.
>
> If anyone has even a guess as to what might be going on, I'd much
> appreciate hearing it.

It's hard to say exactly what your problem might be - I can tell you
that I have successfully compiled both the POV-Ray 3.0 and 3.1 source on
a 16 Mb machine (in a Windows 95 DOS box), without any syntax errors of
any kind.  It could be that you do not have all the necessary components
of DJGPP, or that they are incorrectly installed.  I have also had no
problems applying successive patches to the beta version (from
3.1.beta.4 to 3.1.a), nor compiling small changes I've made to the
source myself, so I can assure you that it is neither a problem with
DJGPP 2.01 or the POV-Ray source.