POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : DJGPP : no more memory : DJGPP : no more memory Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  DJGPP : no more memory
From: jko
Date: 13 Oct 1998 16:30:05
Message: <3623AA13.F32149D1@home.com>
Hi,

I have installed djgpp 2.01 and I'm trying to compile POV-ray for MSDOS
so that I can try some unofficial debugging of the bump_map code.

POV-ray source code comes with a *.mak file specifically for djgpp, but
for some reason I had to work through a lot of syntax errors.

Now I'm within 10 lines of the end of the *.mak file and I'm getting the
error:

at line 240 : no more memory

I have 256 megs of RAM, and I've tried everything I know to free up more
DOS memory via config.sys lines.

At this point my DPMI is set so that when I run go32-v2 it reads:

DPMI memory available 151,759 Kb
DPMI swap space available: 46,281 Kb

If I type MEM I am showing:

Largest executable program size  604K (618,752)

I tried exiting Windows98 into MSDOS mode, but I get the same error.

I don't know whether it's Make.exe or DJGPP that's running out of memory
or what the problem is, but I would think I've freed up enough.

If anyone has even a guess as to what might be going on, I'd much
appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,

Kevin Odhner
jko### [at] homecom

(I'll check back here, but if you're willing, use jko### [at] homecom )