POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Recompiling POV for NT and Pentium 2 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:32 EDT (-0400)
  Recompiling POV for NT and Pentium 2 (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Steven Pigeon
Subject: Recompiling POV for NT and Pentium 2
Date: 7 Aug 1998 11:58:48
Message: <35CB165C.D4D756E0@iro.umontreal.ca>
Hello All.

 I've downloaded the source of PovRay and tried to compile
it for Windows NT using MsVc 5.0. The goal is to produce a
pentium 2 -friendly executable that use all possible optimisations
for this cpu.

It works almost right and I get a nearly 2-fold increase in speed.

It works almost right, but...

MsVc5 rewrites the ressource file (as it was not created by it)
and I get a lot of strange beheviors. Open dialogs are really
big, it refuses to use the default .ini settings, etc... ?

Does anyone has a version, that fully replaces pvengine.exe,
compiled with options suitable for a pentium 2, and that works
correctly... Or what compiler should I use to compile this
thing right ?

Best,

    S.

Steven Pigeon                     Ph. D. Student.
University of Montreal.
pig### [at] iroumontrealca           Topics: data compression,
pig### [at] jspumontrealca          signal processing,
ste### [at] researchattcom           non stationnary signals
                                  and wavelets.
         http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pigeon

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)

>  I've downloaded the source of PovRay and tried to compile
> it for Windows NT using MsVc 5.0. The goal is to produce a
> pentium 2 -friendly executable that use all possible optimisations
> for this cpu.

> MsVc5 rewrites the ressource file (as it was not created by it)
> and I get a lot of strange beheviors. Open dialogs are really
> big, it refuses to use the default .ini settings, etc... ?

Well, in this NG was thread about compiling PovRay with VC recently. Look for the
thread
"Problems Compiling POV 3.01 with Visual C++ 5.0", there are some tips given.

Dialogs big? Ain't it "missing initialization for font structure" error? (see the
above mentioned thread).

I had problems with default .ini file settings as well, when tried to run PovRay with
optimizations on. Apparentry file
parsing function didn't worked correctly, when optimized. My version of splitfn (in
pvmisc.c) is as follows (original version
used input parameter filename as temporary variable):

--8<------------>8--
int splitfn (char *filename, char *path, char *name, char *ext)
{
  char        *s ;
  char        str [_MAX_PATH] ;

  strcpy (str, filename) ;

  if (path != NULL)
    *path = '\0' ;
  if (name != NULL)
    *name = '\0' ;
  if (ext != NULL)
    *ext = '\0' ;

  if ((s = strrchr (str, '.')) != NULL)
  {
    if (ext)
      strcpy (ext, s) ;
    *s = '\0' ;
  }

  if ((s = strrchr (str, SEPARATOR)) != NULL)
  {
    if (name)
      strcpy (name, s + 1) ;
    *++s = '\0' ;
    if (path)
      strcpy (path, str) ;
  }
  else
    if (name)
      strcpy (name, str) ;

  return (0) ;
}
--8<------------>8--
Hope this helps.

Post a reply to this message

> >  I've downloaded the source of PovRay and tried to compile
> > it for Windows NT using MsVc 5.0. The goal is to produce a
> > pentium 2 -friendly executable that use all possible optimisations
> > for this cpu.
>
> > MsVc5 rewrites the ressource file (as it was not created by it)
> > and I get a lot of strange beheviors. Open dialogs are really
> > big, it refuses to use the default .ini settings, etc... ?
>
> Well, in this NG was thread about compiling PovRay with VC recently. Look for the
thread
> "Problems Compiling POV 3.01 with Visual C++ 5.0", there are some tips given.
>
> Dialogs big? Ain't it "missing initialization for font structure" error? (see the
above mentioned thread).

No. No warnings. Just, the first time you open the Ressource File, a warning, akin to
"warning. This is not a MsVc5.0- created ressource file. Will rewrite in MsVc5 style."
And with "ok" and "cancel". If you cancel... you can't load the ressource file. Talk
about
choice!

> I had problems with default .ini file settings as well, when tried to run PovRay
with optimizations on. Apparentry file
> parsing function didn't worked correctly, when optimized. My version of splitfn (in
pvmisc.c) is as follows (original version
> used input parameter filename as temporary variable):

> int splitfn (char *filename, char *path, char *name, char *ext)
> {
> }
> Hope this helps.

Works Better now! Thanks.