POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Future PovRay source code availability Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  Future PovRay source code availability (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Alain CULOS
Subject: Re: Future PovRay source code availability
Date: 27 Jul 1998 15:26:46
Message: <35BA1899.26F1933F@bigfoot.com>
Thomas Willhalm wrote:

> They don't have to release anything -- neither beta versions, source code
> nor a final product. It's freeware.

That's one major point : their freedom to do so or not to do so.

> BUT take a look at http://www.ssc.com/linux/Eric/cathedral-paper.html !
> It does make sense to publish half finished, deficient code. If it works
> for a big project like Linux, why not for POV-Ray?

Because even if it is a big help to the project it is a lot of work to co-ordinate
such a thing and end up with something consistent. If you look more closely at
Linux, you will not see one big nice version that is the official one, you have
Slackware, RedHat, ... and so many others, you don't know where to stop for
getting yours. Who supports what ? Do you have to be the mechanic to fix each
small issue that may arise ?With Linux the ones who use it are expected to know
what they are on about, with POV, all you nneed is know the scene language and
most of all where to find the description for this language : read the manual. No
manual in the world will allow you to use Linux as easily as you use POV, simply
for that reason that it is so complex and diverse.

> I really don't understand why the povteam doesn't take advantage of the big
> number of povray users with programming skills.

They do now and then. You are invited to submit your bug reports and fixes when
you can do so. You are invited to submit new functions or whatever, only they keep
control to have one version out. Only one official version.

> As mentioned in the article there should always be two versions: a stable
> one and an experimental one.

Of course it is possible, but that has a cost : time to manage.
The POV-Team I guess is more interested in doing the thing for themselves rather
than the possibility of not doing it and managing hundreds of developpers
worldwide.

I think this is the alternative.
Regards,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :

To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.

Post a reply to this message