POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Wish lists again Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Wish lists again (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Robert Dawson
Subject: Wish lists again
Date: 3 Jun 1998 11:25:32
Message: <01bd8f05$02d8c110$1c8eb88c@rdawson>
One easy one that ought to be there: a black-and-white film. I've had on
various occasions to produce POV scenes and then convert to monochrome. The
easiest way turned out to be defining all the objects to be gray - it's
hard to tell exactly how a color scene will look in monochrome, and I do a
lot of "postage-stamp" previewing. Two problems - firstly, you might
already have complicated colored objects that you don't want to rewrite;
and secondly, this isn't true monochrome.  A true monochrome film can show
two identically gray objects, lit by a light [actually green] that lights
one [green] and not the other [red]. Gray objects and white light do not
simulate this.

	(One could also have a "pregray" option that converted everything to gray
first and ten rendered on only one channel; this would save a little
calculation time but not, I suspect, a lot. It might add it back on, too,
elsewhere, in ubiquitous "if(pregray)" conditionals.)

	The patch is obvious - just convert all three channels to their average
just between ray tracing and pixel storage, and add the keyword & an extra
field in the camera description. If I had a few hours to spend...

	Another possible effect in the same line would be a "human eye film" that
was monochrome at low light levels and trichrome at higher light levels.

	-Robert Dawson

Post a reply to this message

On 3 Jun 1998 15:25:32 GMT, "Robert Dawson" <Rob### [at] stmarysca>
wrote:

>	The patch is obvious - just convert all three channels to their average
>just between ray tracing and pixel storage, and add the keyword & an extra
>field in the camera description. If I had a few hours to spend...

Try using hf_gray_16 (section 7.8.4 in the manual) and rendering to a
PNG image.  If you render to TGA, you'll get the familiar reds,
greens, and yellows, but if you render to PNG it's saved as a 16-bit
grayscale file.  This uses a weighted average that more closely
approximates the actual gray value, as well.

Post a reply to this message

On 3 Jun 1998 15:25:32 GMT, "Robert Dawson" <Rob### [at] stmarysca> wrote:

>	Another possible effect in the same line would be a "human eye film"
that
>was monochrome at low light levels and trichrome at higher light levels.

From what I've seen, POV-Ray already does this.  Try very low-lit light
sources and see for yourself.

Steve Horn :p