POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Wish lists again : Re: Wish lists again Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wish lists again
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 3 Jun 1998 13:45:43
Message: <35768a6d.415339769@news.povray.org>
On 3 Jun 1998 15:25:32 GMT, "Robert Dawson" <Rob### [at] stmarysca>
wrote:

>	The patch is obvious - just convert all three channels to their average
>just between ray tracing and pixel storage, and add the keyword & an extra
>field in the camera description. If I had a few hours to spend...

Try using hf_gray_16 (section 7.8.4 in the manual) and rendering to a
PNG image.  If you render to TGA, you'll get the familiar reds,
greens, and yellows, but if you render to PNG it's saved as a 16-bit
grayscale file.  This uses a weighted average that more closely
approximates the actual gray value, as well.