POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : POV-Ray as a LLVM backend Server Time
28 Mar 2024 07:12:29 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray as a LLVM backend (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Warp
Subject: POV-Ray as a LLVM backend
Date: 19 Jun 2013 11:34:24
Message: <51c1cf80@news.povray.org>
There has been much discussion about a new scripting language for
defining scenes in POV-Ray 4.

What if POV-Ray were made into a LLVM backend, and the current scene
description language, plus any possible future new language, into a
LLVM frontend?

The advantage of this would be that you could write your scenes in any
language for which there exists a LLVM frontend. If you want to write
your scene in C++, go ahead. If you want to write it in Haskell, you can
do so. Python? Ruby? Fortran? ActionScript? Everything goes. Or you can
write it with the current SDL, given that a SDL frontend is made.

Also, scenes can be "pre-parsed" into LLVM's internal format and
re-rendered from that format directly, saving the time it takes to parse
the original source code.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> There has been much discussion about a new scripting language for
> defining scenes in POV-Ray 4.
>
> What if POV-Ray were made into a LLVM backend, and the current scene
> description language, plus any possible future new language, into a
> LLVM frontend?
>
> The advantage of this would be that you could write your scenes in any
> language for which there exists a LLVM frontend. If you want to write
> your scene in C++, go ahead. If you want to write it in Haskell, you can
> do so. Python? Ruby? Fortran? ActionScript? Everything goes. Or you can
> write it with the current SDL, given that a SDL frontend is made.
>
> Also, scenes can be "pre-parsed" into LLVM's internal format and
> re-rendered from that format directly, saving the time it takes to parse
> the original source code.

I think there was some mention from Thorsten already in the dev
newsgroup that he wanted to use LLVM as the basis for the new parser,
and I totally second it.

Post a reply to this message