POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Next Generation SDL Brainstorming Server Time
29 Jun 2024 00:51:04 EDT (-0400)
  Next Generation SDL Brainstorming (Message 41 to 50 of 92)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming
Date: 28 Mar 2009 10:05:00
Message: <web.49ce2e2bad59404722390e420@news.povray.org>
"Carlo C." <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> If it can be useful the point of view of a non-programmer and a beginner in
> POV-ray...

.... which is well appreciated and actually of high valuable in this context, as
it is virtually *impossible* for any programmer to assess a programming
language's "approachability" (or absense thereof) to beginners.

Maybe it's the most important point of view we need to take into account. After
all, POV-Ray is a raytracer first, and although it is obviously primarily aimed
at people who can get along quite well without a "wysiwyg" type of 3D modelling
tool, and one of its *strenths* is its integrated programming language, still
it aims for a much broader audience than just full-fledged software developers.

> POV language is simple and intuitive, and there are not hateful things, like:
>
> - *<>* or *</>* for each line...

I bet (and hope and pray!) POV's SDL will *not* go XML ;)

> - long word, filled with *__*, etc.

Doesn't remind me of a particular language. But I guess what you're saying is
that a POV language should use short (yet clear) words.

Like in that language occasionally referred to as "the duct-tape of the
Internet"? Yeah, with duct tape you can do just about anything quite fast, but
the result always looks ugly, and you better have the job re-visited soon in a
more professional fashion ;) (Well, after all, "perl" is not a "pearl" ;))

(Then again, I'm not perfectly sure whether that is the kind of stuff you are
referring to.)

> - billion of brackets of all types that disorientate...

Yes, the typical POV script has those omnipresent curly braces for nesting
objects and their properties, some parentheses for some mathematical formulae,
and an occasional square bracket for array indices, and that's it, basically.

Which is possibly why I'm still irritated at the square brackets used for maps.

> Here, would it be possible to make the POV-language more powerful while
> preserving the characteristics of simplicity?

You definitely have a point here.

Post a reply to this message