POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : More on jitter. The yuqk fork and ideas for v4.0. Server Time
9 May 2024 08:43:03 EDT (-0400)
  More on jitter. The yuqk fork and ideas for v4.0. (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: More on jitter. The yuqk fork and ideas for v4.0.
Date: 1 Nov 2023 06:07:46
Message: <65422372@news.povray.org>
The yuqk fork returned to truly random jitter where the default of
jitter is off rather than the official V3.7 onward POV-Ray code where
antialiasing (AA) methods 1 and 2 jitter is always on - and any
randomness is predictive, but not purely gridded.

Further, it allows the jitter-ing to bounce outside the pixel - or bleed
into adjacent pixels - where the jitter amounts are >1.0. This ability
has thus far been called 'big jitter'.

I've now had some years playing with the 'improved jitter' in the yuqk
fork and while the yuqk fork is certainly more flexible, the results are
not always better depending upon the measure of goodness.

Using the Pursuit Curve code from Kurtz le pirate which was recently
posted on the POV-Ray forums, I've made an attempt to better formalize
some rough AA rules for using random/big jitter. See those rules below.

I've added to my yuqk fork to do list some ability to specify a minimum
recursive AA depth in addition to the maximum one. Thinking the options
and flag would be Antialias_Min_Depth=n and +RMn, respectively.

The 'lines' in the attached image have been fattened with a big jitter
rather than by increasing the radius of the cylinders. I believe this
will lead to better looking thumbnails for images of this type - FWIW.

Bill P.

==============================

October 31, 2023

1)
--

Shooting more rays and scaling smaller almost always leads to better
looking images. This can be accomplished by rendering much larger images

2)
--

Though random / big jitter only applies to AA methods 1 and 2, All three
AA methods in v3.8 and beyond lack a means to force a minimum 'depth' or

3)
--

If trying to 'see' fine detail, where using, say, '+a0.01 +am2 +r3' it
is the case that dropping back one recursive depth with zero threshold,

4)
--

Using yuqk's random / big jitter will frequently see fine detail at
lower AA recursion depths - if the AA threshold is 0.0 (if a minimum

5)
--

Where the number of rays is higher the random / big jitter leads to
better images faster than just rendering large with AA modes not having

6)
--

There are recommended maximum big jitter amounts for methods 1 and 2
depending on recursion depth. Using a big jitter value (jitter > 1.0),

7)
--

There are a non-trivial number of reasons AA might quit earlier than
we'd like due used features having their own adaptive mechanisms.

8)
--

Big jitter allows for additional effects beyond more traditional AA.

9)
--

Depending on the particular scene, alignment of pixels with detail - and
desired results - the rules above will apply more, or less well. YMMV.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'courbesdepoursuite_c.jpg' (281 KB)

Preview of image 'courbesdepoursuite_c.jpg'
courbesdepoursuite_c.jpg

On 11/1/23 06:07, William F Pokorny wrote:
> The 'lines' in the attached image have been fattened with a big jitter
> rather than by increasing the radius of the cylinders. I believe this
> will lead to better looking thumbnails for images of this type - FWIW.

:-) Well, my thinking there was certainly not as right as I'd hoped with
respect to the POV-Ray web site's thumbnail mechanism!

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message