POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Playing with suggested v4.0 f_boxb and three cos function. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 09:42:54 EDT (-0400)
  Playing with suggested v4.0 f_boxb and three cos function. (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Playing with suggested v4.0 f_boxb and three cos function.
Date: 18 Feb 2023 23:38:13
Message: <63f1a7b5$1@news.povray.org>
In newusers there was recently a post about creating an isosurface with
the function "cos(x) + cos(y) + cos(z)". I decided to grab that function
and play with the new to povr fork's f_boxb(). A function intended for
use in specifically with isosurfaces.

f_boxb() is a function which takes another function as an input and
encloses it in a box which in part or in total is expected to be smaller
than the isosurface contained_by shape.

The contained_by shape can itself be used to clip away sides of the now
boxed original function to expose an inner structure. I did this on the
top and front in the attached image.

Bill P.

Aside: The gradient of "cos(x) + cos(y) + cos(z)" is relatively high as
isosurface functions go.

// Code ONLY works with the povr fork
#include "functions.inc"
// Function f_boxb defined in functions.inc
#declare Fn03 = function (x,y,z) { (cos(x) + cos(y) + cos(z))*-1 }
#declare Fn04 = function (x,y,z) {
     f_boxb(x,y,z,0.6,0.667,1,-0.02,0,0,Fn03(x*20,y*20,z*20),0.010)
}
#declare Iso99 = isosurface {
     function { Fn04(x,y,z) }
     contained_by { box { <-1,-1,-0.95>,<1,1/3,1> } }
     threshold 0
     accuracy 0.00017
     max_gradient 33.3
}
#declare SorrellBrown = srgb <0.80784,0.72549,0.56078>;
#declare Pigment02 = pigment { color SorrellBrown }
#declare Normal02 = normal { granite  0.31 scale 0.177 }
#declare Finish02 = finish { phong 0.33 }
#declare Texture02 = texture {
     pigment { Pigment02 }
     finish { Finish02 }
     normal { Normal02 }
}
#declare Obj02 = object { Iso99 texture { Texture02 } }

Attachments:
Download 'threecosiso.jpg' (108 KB)

Preview of image 'threecosiso.jpg'
threecosiso.jpg

> f_boxb() is a function which takes another function as an input and
> encloses it in a box which in part or in total is expected to be smaller
> than the isosurface contained_by shape.
>
> The contained_by shape can itself be used to clip away sides of the now
> boxed original function to expose an inner structure. I did this on the
> top and front in the attached image.

That looks cool.

Now all you need to do is interlace that function with some white ovoids with
micronormals, and you sell those by the case for $50+ each.

Post a reply to this message