POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Playing with suggested v4.0 f_boxb and three cos function. : Re: Playing with suggested v4.0 f_boxb and three cos function. Server Time
18 Apr 2024 21:54:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing with suggested v4.0 f_boxb and three cos function.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 20 Feb 2023 08:50:49
Message: <63f37ab9$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/19/23 14:38, Bald Eagle wrote:
> That looks cool.

Thanks.

> Now all you need to do is interlace that function with some white ovoids with
> micronormals, and you sell those by the case for $50+ each.

:-)

---

 > Aside: The gradient of "cos(x) + cos(y) + cos(z)" is relatively high
 > as isosurface functions go.

Aside to my aside... We can lower the gradient in the above case. By
noticing the function values swing between -3 and 3 in a symmetrical
way, we can code:

#declare Fn03 = function (x,y,z) {
     (cos(x) + cos(y) + cos(z))*(1/3)
}

Which re-maps the values to -1 to 1. Why not *1/9 you ask for an even
lower gradient? Well, you can, but it gets to be a gradient game with
isosurfaces after some point. It tends' to help to get everything into a
more common value space - and I aim for -1 to 1 as a rule - as in that
space functions tend to play better together.

Bill P.