POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Reviving some pov4 discussion Server Time
26 Apr 2024 02:57:59 EDT (-0400)
  Reviving some pov4 discussion (Message 6 to 15 of 35)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion
Date: 1 Aug 2015 18:43:15
Message: <55bd4b83@news.povray.org>
> I'm well aware of your wish for this road to be taken, and while it's
> currently invisible in the SDL, under the hood things are already moving
> in that direction (your past posts have been quite inspirational in this
> respect). More and more portions of the code get clearly delineated from
> each other, modularized, and shoved into well-defined polymorphic
> classes - which will make it a whole lot easier to plug in user-defined
> code.

I'm glad to hear that.

> However, the user-supplied code portion of the scheme - and actually any
> user-supplied code - /will/ have to wait for the parser rewrite:
> User-supplied code needs /some/ sufficiently expressive syntax, a parser
> for that, and a sufficiently powerful VM to run on - and I guess we
> agree that it makes perfect sense to make that identical to the new
> syntax, parser and VM for the general scene description.

Do you mean that the "shader" code ought to have identical syntax to
everything else in the input language (rather than them being essentially
two separate and independent languages, one inside the other, like the
current SDL and the user-defined functions are now)?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> However, the user-supplied code portion of the scheme - and actually any
>> user-supplied code - /will/ have to wait for the parser rewrite:
>> User-supplied code needs /some/ sufficiently expressive syntax, a parser
>> for that, and a sufficiently powerful VM to run on - and I guess we
>> agree that it makes perfect sense to make that identical to the new
>> syntax, parser and VM for the general scene description.
>
> Do you mean that the "shader" code ought to have identical syntax to
> everything else in the input language (rather than them being essentially
> two separate and independent languages, one inside the other, like the
> current SDL and the user-defined functions are now)?

Yup.

Note that my goal is for the language /per se/ to have a very simple
syntax, and make it pretty much oblivious to rendering, except for
providing a few special native data types like 3D vectors and colours.
It'll be up to a bunch of predefined classes to fill it with raytracing
life in its scene description role. Such a language should be generic
enough to also be suited for the shader description role, so it would be
rather pointless and user-unfriendly to devise yet another language for
that purpose.

Post a reply to this message