POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I saw a very strange bug Server Time
2 Apr 2023 03:59:19 EDT (-0400)
  I saw a very strange bug (Message 11 to 14 of 14)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: I saw a very strange bug
Date: 28 Oct 2021 02:53:40
Message: <617a48f4$1@news.povray.org>
Op 27/10/2021 om 22:06 schreef Samuel B.:
> "Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> (...)
>>> I tried to search for such a thing, but did not turn up anything remotely
>>> resembling this beast.
>>
>> I know the feeling, I saw a couple of times some mini bees that were not bigger
>> than 3 or 4 millimeters and this felt unnatural.
> 
> I would like to see those myself. Were they some sort of bee fly, perhaps?
> 
> Sam
> 

"Here There Be Tygers"  ;-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel B 
Subject: Re: I saw a very strange bug
Date: 28 Oct 2021 19:00:00
Message: <web.617b2b243ace181ccb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Op 27/10/2021 om 22:06 schreef Samuel B.:
> > "Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> >> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> >>> I tried to search for such a thing, but did not turn up anything remotely
> >>> resembling this beast.
> >>
> >> I know the feeling, I saw a couple of times some mini bees that were not bigger
> >> than 3 or 4 millimeters and this felt unnatural.
> >
> > I would like to see those myself. Were they some sort of bee fly, perhaps?
>
> "Here There Be Tygers"  ;-)

Lol, I'm not sure if you're comparing bee flies to fictitious creatures such as
dragons at oceans' end, or something like ligers.

(This just in: ligers are real, but the males are apparently sterile.)

Anyway, bee flies are really cool. Much more well-behaved than common
houseflies... In fact, you can catch one if you're patient enough. They tend to
hover back and forth in the air, and if you are calm and match their movements
by waving your at the same pace they are wavering, you might just get one to
land on your fingertip. Not sure what the point of doing it is, but it's a neat
thing to do :D

Sam


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: I saw a very strange bug
Date: 29 Oct 2021 02:50:46
Message: <617b99c6$1@news.povray.org>
Op 29/10/2021 om 00:58 schreef Samuel B.:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>> Op 27/10/2021 om 22:06 schreef Samuel B.:
>>> "Mr" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>>>> "Samuel B." <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>>>> I tried to search for such a thing, but did not turn up anything remotely
>>>>> resembling this beast.
>>>>
>>>> I know the feeling, I saw a couple of times some mini bees that were not bigger
>>>> than 3 or 4 millimeters and this felt unnatural.
>>>
>>> I would like to see those myself. Were they some sort of bee fly, perhaps?
>>
>> "Here There Be Tygers"  ;-)
> 
> Lol, I'm not sure if you're comparing bee flies to fictitious creatures such as
> dragons at oceans' end, or something like ligers.
> 
> (This just in: ligers are real, but the males are apparently sterile.)
> 
> Anyway, bee flies are really cool. Much more well-behaved than common
> houseflies... In fact, you can catch one if you're patient enough. They tend to
> hover back and forth in the air, and if you are calm and match their movements
> by waving your at the same pace they are wavering, you might just get one to
> land on your fingertip. Not sure what the point of doing it is, but it's a neat
> thing to do :D
> 

Oh, great! I was not referring to the bee flies in fact but to the 
notion that - even in our back garden - we may find little critters we 
have never seen before. With additional climate change, alien visitors 
may even become more common...

It took me a long while to recognise the larval stage of the Ladybugs... :-0

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Samuel B 
Subject: Re: I saw a very strange bug
Date: 30 Oct 2021 19:55:00
Message: <web.617ddb433ace181ccb705ca46e741498@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Op 29/10/2021 om 00:58 schreef Samuel B.:
> > Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
(...)
> >> "Here There Be Tygers"  ;-)
> >
> > Lol, I'm not sure if you're comparing bee flies to fictitious creatures such as
> > dragons at oceans' end, or something like ligers. (...)
>
> Oh, great! I was not referring to the bee flies in fact but to the
> notion that - even in our back garden - we may find little critters we
> have never seen before. With additional climate change, alien visitors
> may even become more common...
>
> It took me a long while to recognise the larval stage of the Ladybugs... :-0

Yeah, when I was little I used to see these tiny monsters apparently hanging
half in and half out of walls. They really freaked me out. Turns out they were
ladybug larva husks :P

Sam


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.