POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : STL binary floating data. Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:41:23 EDT (-0400)
  STL binary floating data. (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: STL binary floating data.
Date: 9 Mar 2020 22:25:00
Message: <web.5e66f99d517dbb514eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"GioSeregni" <gms### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> The goal for export bin stl WHILE I am working on the CAD dwg, is for to view a
> runtime quickly step by step the design, and without I have to save the dwg (or
> DXF).

So, you're trying to export from CAD to STL so that you can render in POV-RAY
while you're in the process of making edits to the "mesh" model?

I'm wondering if you can somehow use FreeCAD in your workflow?

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/index.php?title=Raytracing_Module
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Raytracing_tutorial

This is some pretty impressive work that you've done, and the results look
_really_ nice.   I wish I had some LISP or other language programming experience
to better offer a viable solution.

Hopefully someone who does will eventually see this thread and have some
suggestions.
Leroy and Dick Balaska seem to do a fair bit of coding like this.

I'm certainly interested in learning more about your work and how to implement
it.   There are a lot of people who _want_ to use POV-Ray but don't, because
there is no actively-supported modeler.

The rest of us use CSG, or some of us are driven to distraction writing
specialized workarounds....  ;)

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5da27a2a65c96eb4eec112d0%40news.povray.org%3E/

Post a reply to this message

> "GioSeregni" <gms### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
> > The goal for export bin stl WHILE I am working on the CAD dwg, is for to view a
> > runtime quickly step by step the design, and without I have to save the dwg (or
> > DXF).
>
> So, you're trying to export from CAD to STL so that you can render in POV-RAY
> while you're in the process of making edits to the "mesh" model?
>

> I'm wondering if you can somehow use FreeCAD in your workflow?
>
> https://wiki.freecadweb.org/index.php?title=Raytracing_Module
> https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Raytracing_tutorial
>
> This is some pretty impressive work that you've done, and the results look
> _really_ nice.   I wish I had some LISP or other language programming experience
> to better offer a viable solution.
>
> Hopefully someone who does will eventually see this thread and have some
> suggestions.
> Leroy and Dick Balaska seem to do a fair bit of coding like this.
>
> I'm certainly interested in learning more about your work and how to implement
> it.   There are a lot of people who _want_ to use POV-Ray but don't, because
> there is no actively-supported modeler.
>
> The rest of us use CSG, or some of us are driven to distraction writing
> specialized workarounds....  ;)

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5da27a2a65c96eb4eec112d0%40news.povray.org%3E/

A CAD and a rendering program have very different philosophies, so I'll show you
how my exporter works with a small example. It only translates simple faces and
lines. But I have a trick. Very simple and fast blocks in CAD, which they call
most useful blocks written for POV.
Instead the export for STL I need just to build the blocks (inc) to give to POV
making and testing the future inc files for my lib.
STL uses only faces, and therefore it is very suitable for helping CAD.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'clipboard01.jpg' (332 KB)

Preview of image 'clipboard01.jpg'