POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Are pov-ray SDL skills "marketable" ? Server Time
18 May 2024 05:04:52 EDT (-0400)
  Are pov-ray SDL skills "marketable" ? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: rodv92
Subject: Are pov-ray SDL skills "marketable" ?
Date: 3 Apr 2017 16:50:00
Message: <web.58e2b42a83f615b1d2ae3900@news.povray.org>
Hi !
Currently looking for new carreer options were I could put my CGI experience at
work as a "complementary skill"

So I suppose it depends on what kind of 3D works and renders you do...
probably for physics or engineering the procedural aspect is interesting, and
interior design and architecture, and maybe advertisements and marketing.

I suppose much less for CGI and movie making, but i may be wrong...

Any reactions ? (kind of... "never heard of this modeller before", And you have
to correct the hiring manager by telling him with a sense of pride that it is
purely procedural and that all your scenes where written by hand in code in SDL
without even a single object or primitive being modelled"

And are there any niche industries / job positions that are "pov-ray oriented"
more than others ?

Any input ?

Rodrigo.

Post a reply to this message

> Currently looking for new carreer options were I could put my CGI experience at
> work as a "complementary skill"
>
> So I suppose it depends on what kind of 3D works and renders you do...
> probably for physics or engineering the procedural aspect is interesting, and
> interior design and architecture, and maybe advertisements and marketing.
>
> I suppose much less for CGI and movie making, but i may be wrong...
>

> Any reactions ? (kind of... "never heard of this modeller before", And you have
> to correct the hiring manager by telling him with a sense of pride that it is
> purely procedural and that all your scenes where written by hand in code in SDL
> without even a single object or primitive being modelled"
>
> And are there any niche industries / job positions that are "pov-ray oriented"
> more than others ?
>
> Any input ?
>
> Rodrigo.

Employers are probably more interested in skills with mesh-based GUI
modelers. But you can export from some of those to POV-Ray.

Mike

Post a reply to this message