POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : SF Playlist Server Time
28 Jul 2024 04:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  SF Playlist (Message 21 to 30 of 49)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: Re: SF Playlist
Date: 26 Jun 2016 19:20:01
Message: <web.5770620f677a0582fd6b6fe10@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 2016/06/24 08:22 PM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> > I'm working on a Science-Fiction themed playlist, and I'm looking for
> > suggestions.
> >
> > So far, I have:
> >
> > 1) In the Beginning, There Was... -- Xenosaga
> > 2) Adagio in D Minor -- Sunshine
> > 3) Cosmic Castaway -- Electrasy, Titan A.E.
> > 4) Armored Prayer -- Gears of War
> > 5) No Time For Caution -- Interstellar
> > 6) Jr. -- Xenosaga
> > 7) Major Tom (Coming Home) -- Peter Schilling
> > 8) Down to Earth -- Luscious Jackson, Titan A.E.
> > 9) Everybody's Going to the Moon -- Jamiroquoi, Titan A.E.
> >
> > The ordering is still flexible.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> > A.D.B.
> >

> Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft -- The Carpenters ?
>
> --
>
> -Nekar Xenos-

I love Karen's voice.  But not this song.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

From: André Linnenbank
Date: 26 Jun 2016 20:22:10
Message: <577071b2$1@news.povray.org>
Red Barchetta -- Rush

Any space opera by Ayreon, my favorite is 'into the electric castle' but
'01011001' or e.g. 'the universal migrator' might do as well

Quite a lot from Eloy (no that is not a typo) e.g. from the album
'Planets' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bus65ovjOOg

not sure if
The Ancient (Giants under the Sun) -- Yes
counts. Possibly my most favorite Yes song

and if you allow fantasy as well: try the album Wintersmith by Steeleye Span

On 26-06-16 19:10, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:

>>> Well, if we're going to be silly...
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdgenGhNyOo
>>
>> Thank you. Thank you very much.
>> It took me decades to forget that and now...  :)
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23e-SnQvCaA
>>
>> Nice one. Good beat. :)
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>>       Stephen
>
> Well, if you want silly...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHdQ_Udn4yk
>

> I like some of the suggestions.  Never heard most of them.
>
> Holst's The Planets is nice, but it's really long.
>
> I had thought of Purple People Eater, but it is a bit silly, though it wouldn't
> particularly be out of place next to The Blob and, honestly, it's better than
> The Blob.
>
> I'd heard of ELO, but I'd never listened to them.  The album mentioned is
> interesting, but finding one or two tracks in particular could take some time,
> since the ones I listened to tended to blend into each other.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

=?UTF-8?Q?Andr=c3=a9_Linnenbank?= <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Red Barchetta -- Rush
>
> Any space opera by Ayreon, my favorite is 'into the electric castle' but
> '01011001' or e.g. 'the universal migrator' might do as well
>
> Quite a lot from Eloy (no that is not a typo) e.g. from the album
> 'Planets' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bus65ovjOOg

Listening to it now.  Sounds interesting so far, but nothing really jumps out
yet.

> not sure if
> The Ancient (Giants under the Sun) -- Yes
> counts. Possibly my most favorite Yes song

Too long.  It's like how I wanted to add Tubular bells to my halloween
soundtrack, but the song is 45 minutes long.

> and if you allow fantasy as well: try the album Wintersmith by Steeleye Span

That's a whole different playlist.

Loving the suggestions, even if I don't use them all right now.  They'd make
great stuff for an internet radio station.

Mostly, I'm looking for stuff with a solid SF connection, not just a spacey
sound.  Otherwise I could use quite a bit of Mannheim Steamroller's Fresh Aire
albums.

So far I've gotten most of my stuff from soundtracks, so I'm trying to keep an
eye out for stuff that has SF-themed lyrics or some other connection.  I've
thought about Elton John's Rocket Man, but I'm not sure where I'd fit it in
right now.  Another one I've thought about is Silent Running by Mike and the
Mechanics, which sounds more like an entry for my Revolution playlist, until you
watch the music video.  Of course, there's no reason it can't be on both.

Some other ideas, assuming I could find them as MP3s would be stuff from
Animusic. For instance:

Heavy Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKUTYxJEB44

Fiber Bundles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6r4pAqOBDY

Harmonic Voltage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7--cT9d81uQ

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 26 Jun 2016 23:30:09
Message: <57709dc1$1@news.povray.org>
On 2016/06/27 01:16 AM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
> Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> On 2016/06/24 08:22 PM, Anthony D. Baye wrote:
>>> I'm working on a Science-Fiction themed playlist, and I'm looking for
>>> suggestions.
>>>
>>> So far, I have:
>>>
>>> 1) In the Beginning, There Was... -- Xenosaga
>>> 2) Adagio in D Minor -- Sunshine
>>> 3) Cosmic Castaway -- Electrasy, Titan A.E.
>>> 4) Armored Prayer -- Gears of War
>>> 5) No Time For Caution -- Interstellar
>>> 6) Jr. -- Xenosaga
>>> 7) Major Tom (Coming Home) -- Peter Schilling
>>> 8) Down to Earth -- Luscious Jackson, Titan A.E.
>>> 9) Everybody's Going to the Moon -- Jamiroquoi, Titan A.E.
>>>
>>> The ordering is still flexible.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> A.D.B.
>>>

>> Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft -- The Carpenters ?
>>
>> --
>>
>> -Nekar Xenos-
>
> I love Karen's voice.  But not this song.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

That's what makes this song so freaky.

-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Sherry K  Shaw
Date: 27 Jun 2016 01:56:25
Message: <5770c009@news.povray.org>
Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdgenGhNyOo

Oooh, very nice AND silly, and yet somehow oddly reminiscent of this:

http://www.dennyweb.com/singing_horses.htm

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23e-SnQvCaA

Well, if you're going to go _there_, then you might as well get all
scientific and go _here_:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

--Sherry "Has a Horrible Suspicion That There's Bugger-All Down Here on
Earth" Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+

Post a reply to this message

From: Sherry K  Shaw
Date: 27 Jun 2016 02:24:31
Message: <5770c69f$1@news.povray.org>

> Quite a lot from Eloy (no that is not a typo) e.g. from the album
> 'Planets' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bus65ovjOOg

Wow and wow again.  Very nice.  Sitting here listening and wishing I
might have heard this when it and I were very much newer.

--Sherry "Ridiculously Old" Shaw

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Jun 2016 03:18:58
Message: <5770d362@news.povray.org>
On 27-6-2016 8:25, Sherry K. Shaw wrote:

>> Quite a lot from Eloy (no that is not a typo) e.g. from the album
>> 'Planets' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bus65ovjOOg
>
> Wow and wow again.  Very nice.  Sitting here listening and wishing I
> might have heard this when it and I were very much newer.

Indeed! And in that same vein, worth re-listening to Tangerine Dream and
Klaus Schultze, my favourites of the time:

http://www.tangerinedream.org/
http://www.klaus-schulze.com/

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Jun 2016 03:32:07
Message: <5770d677$1@news.povray.org>
On 27-6-2016 9:18, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> http://www.tangerinedream.org/
> http://www.klaus-schulze.com/

more to the point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgVpO-IU0YI&list=RDsgVpO-IU0YI#t=696
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fajl68HRgg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjvF36gzLF8

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 27 Jun 2016 03:35:01
Message: <web.5770d6ba677a0582fd6b6fe10@news.povray.org>
> On 27-6-2016 8:25, Sherry K. Shaw wrote:

> >> Quite a lot from Eloy (no that is not a typo) e.g. from the album
> >> 'Planets' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bus65ovjOOg
> >
> > Wow and wow again.  Very nice.  Sitting here listening and wishing I
> > might have heard this when it and I were very much newer.
> >

> Indeed! And in that same vein, worth re-listening to Tangerine Dream and
> Klaus Schultze, my favourites of the time:
>
> http://www.tangerinedream.org/
> http://www.klaus-schulze.com/
>
> --
> Thomas

Alright.  Time for the Big Silly Guns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmfAyK6CeIg

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 27 Jun 2016 07:15:45
Message: <57710ae1$1@news.povray.org>
On 27-6-2016 9:33, Anthony D. Baye wrote:

>>> Wow and wow again.  Very nice.  Sitting here listening and wishing I
>>> might have heard this when it and I were very much newer.
>>>

>> Indeed! And in that same vein, worth re-listening to Tangerine Dream and
>> Klaus Schultze, my favourites of the time:
>>
>> http://www.tangerinedream.org/
>> http://www.klaus-schulze.com/
>>
>> --
>> Thomas