POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 19:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  OS as a Service (Message 71 to 80 of 97)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: OS as a Service
Date: 5 Aug 2015 13:56:55
Message: <55c24e67@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 18:18:42 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 8/5/2015 5:54 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 10:07:28 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> I hope that we can agree to disagree.
>>>
>>> I rail against the "dumbing down" I see happening.
>>
>> It is't "dumbing down" - it's designing so it isn't rocket science.
>>
>> A fine distinction, but an important one. :)
>>

> Shame that we can't agree.

Indeed it is, but that's OK, we don't have to agree on everything.  The
world would be pretty dull if we did. :)

Jim

From: Stephen
Date: 5 Aug 2015 14:06:25
Message: <55c250a1$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/5/2015 6:56 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 18:18:42 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>>> It is't "dumbing down" - it's designing so it isn't rocket science.
>>>
>>> A fine distinction, but an important one. :)
>>>

>> Shame that we can't agree.
>
> Indeed it is, but that's OK, we don't have to agree on everything.  The
> world would be pretty dull if we did. :)

Don't worry it will soon be. :-P

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Aug 2015 15:40:23
Message: <55c266a7$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 19:06:20 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 8/5/2015 6:56 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Shame that we can't agree.
>>
>> Indeed it is, but that's OK, we don't have to agree on everything.  The
>> world would be pretty dull if we did. :)
>>

> Don't worry it will soon be. :-P

LOL

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 5 Aug 2015 16:51:07
Message: <55c2773b@news.povray.org>
On 05/08/2015 05:54 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Aug 2015 10:07:28 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>> I rail against the "dumbing down" I see happening.
>
> It is't "dumbing down" - it's designing so it isn't rocket science.
>
> A fine distinction, but an important one. :)

Way back when, if you wanted to write computer programs, you practically
needed a PhD in electrical engineering, propositional logic, Boolean
algebra and what-not.

Then home computers with BASIC came along, and suddenly any idiot could type

   PRINT 4.5 + 7.9

without having to know or care that the ASCII character codes for "4",
"." and "5" have to be converted from decimal to binary - and better
yet, into floating-point representation. And that to perform the
addition, you have to denormalise one operand so that they both have the
same exponent, and then add the mantissas, and then renormalise the
result. (And that addition almost certainly required more than one ADC
op-code, because the mantissa was definitely wider than 8 bits.) And
then transform that back to decimal, with some suitable number of places
of significance based on the actual width of the mantissa. And then
transform THAT back into ASCII codes. And then compute the correct
address in the framebuffer to write those code to make the VIC II
display the text on the screen.

No, you just type the damn thing, and it works.

Suddenly you didn't need to be a super-nerd to write computer programs.
(And you didn't have to memorise ASCII tables or VIC II register addresses.)

It's a bit like the way you can drive a way without having a clue how an
internal combustion engine actually works.

Is that "dumbing down"? Or is that "removing unimportant implementation
details"? Where do you draw the line?

Post a reply to this message