POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: scott
Date: 6 Aug 2015 02:50:03
Message: <55c3039b$1@news.povray.org>
> There *are* cases where high performance needs to be taken into
> consideration - yet the area where user interaction is *really* important
> (games), you get both high performance *and* good user interaction design
> - at least in games that are successful.  Game players have plenty of
> choices for where to spend their time, and if a UI is too complex,
> they'll move onto something that entertains rather than something that
> frustrates them.

What annoys me most (as a user) with game menu UIs, actually any UI that
involves different "screens", is when switches from one screen to
another takes more than an instant for no reason. In this day and age,
if my fingers are waiting for your code to catch up then you're doing it
wrong. Take Gran Turismo 5 on the PS3, the whole menu system is
*painful* to use, if it was instant then it would feel like a totally
different game to interact with and I'd be far more inclined to spend
more time with it.