POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hello again Server Time
20 Jul 2024 03:29:04 EDT (-0400)
  Hello again (Message 51 to 55 of 55)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Hello again
Date: 11 Jul 2015 00:44:44
Message: <55a09f3c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.07.2015 um 09:07 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 8-7-2015 22:00, Samuel Benge wrote:
>> I was hoping that with 64 bit would come a more precise epsilon value,
>> but it
>> didn't turn out that way :( Was it a misunderstanding on my part, or
>> to keep
>> POV-Ray rendering the same on different architectures, I wonder?
>>

> Somehow, and I am no expert, I get the impression that epsilon issues
> have gotten worse with 3.7.

The problem is, someone changed some of those precision-related
constants during the early stages of 3.7 development for obscure
reasons, and now nobody seems to know what the right values are.

Post a reply to this message

> The problem is, someone changed some of those precision-related
> constants during the early stages of 3.7 development for obscure
> reasons, and now nobody seems to know what the right values are.

What, no source control?

Post a reply to this message

Am 11.07.2015 um 09:48 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> On 11/07/2015 05:44 AM, clipka wrote:
>> The problem is, someone changed some of those precision-related
>> constants during the early stages of 3.7 development for obscure
>> reasons, and now nobody seems to know what the right values are.
>
> What, no source control?

Not in the early (read: way before beta) stages of 3.7 development, no.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 00:24:55 +0200, clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> Am 11.07.2015 um 09:48 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
>> On 11/07/2015 05:44 AM, clipka wrote:
>>> The problem is, someone changed some of those precision-related
>>> constants during the early stages of 3.7 development for obscure
>>> reasons, and now nobody seems to know what the right values are.
>>
>> What, no source control?
>
> Not in the early (read: way before beta) stages of 3.7 development, no.

Wouldn't it be in the 3.6 code?

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

Am 13.07.2015 um 18:14 schrieb Nekar Xenos:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 00:24:55 +0200, clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

>>> What, no source control?
>>
>> Not in the early (read: way before beta) stages of 3.7 development, no.
>>

> Wouldn't it be in the 3.6 code?

The problem isn't so much what the original values were (although that
in itself might turn out to be a rather tedious task by now, as files
have been moved around, functions renamed, and so forth), but which of
the changes that have been made since then are legit and which are just
relics of blind tweaking.